Subject Author Posted Replies

Bath lifts
Does anyone have experience of bath lifts. This is for a frail nonagenarian who lives by herself in a bungalow. The major problem is stepping out of the bath AJH
13
13

Thanks for the "DIY cockups", much fun
Reminded me of the time years ago when Evo-Stik was the "No More Nails" of the day. My Dad laid new floor tiles in the kitchen with it, enclosed space, no ventilation. We found him outside, lying down...
13
13

stairs - removable bannisters.
I'm getting the stair spindles etc. delivered tomorrow. I want to build a r emovable panel, a bit like John Rumm did, but this is a whole staircase (13 treads), and if not done well the result could...
3
3

SHed Carpentry
Hi, A trivial question, but just wondering if anyone can advice on how to replace some lower wooden timbers which have rotten on a shed wall. I have replaced the floor with some rather overly serious...

dead batteries
Batteries for 2 garden tools were left uncharged for 2 years (a health prob) Now wont take charge. Chargers and engines have been checked. Any solution? New batteries cost nearly as much as the...
5
5

Bath Store Shower Waste Trap Issue
I have been looking at the waste trap supplied as standard with a Bath Store shower tray. I have been helping install some Bath Store kit. The outlet of the trap has a black item inserted which fits...

What's your most stupid DIY cockup?
Mine has to be taking the waste pipe off the sink and cleaning it under running water in the same sink without a plug in. Every single time.
108
108

Blowing GU10's
I installed a B&Q light fitting for a mate, replacing a pendant lamp holder. It has 3 x 50w GU10 lamps. Seems to blow 1 every three weeks - never the same one. The GU10s are B&Q own label DI ALL....
44
44

"Dirty" water supply
I have a problem with my washing machine not working 100% correctly on the rinse cycle with concentrated conditioner. I have determined that the problem is the low flow of water through the...
50
50

Interior door lock/latch, do they have names?
Old fashioned interior door assembly, where the latch, keyhole and handle are all in a straight line. Do these have a name and are they replaceable? I need to replace one (lost key) but I can't seem...
4
4

2.5mm swa current rating
According to the TLC web site 2 core 2.5mm SWA is rated at 36 amps, and 3 core 2.5mm is rated at 31 amps. If I am using 3 core with the third core as a cpc (connected to the wire armour ) can I...
11
11

PV installers damaged CU
PV system was installed in January. Small company - very satisfied with the installation.... but now ... I didn't notice until quite recently that the electrician didn't have a one-for-one fitting MCB...
15
15

Neon in two switches question
We have an arrangement (uk.d-i-y passim) for switching the fan on in the bathroom. There is a humidistat with a pull switch so you can have the fan come on when the humidity is high, or you can force...
5
5

Latest Firefox borked? - X-Post
I have had problems with on line banking recently - a specific bank login process. I notified the help desk and they suggested using Chrome. I had already used Chrome with success but this made me...
24
24

Best way to test a motorised valve?
Being a mean old sod, this is the time of year when I turn the central heating off at the timer; and just leave the hot water switched on. However, the radiators are still getting hot. I'm assuming...
15
15