Subject Author Posted Replies

cutting down a 4 panel door - do-able?
Need a door to fit existing doorway but 69&1/40inch tall... Too much to take off std 78" door so- Anyone disassembled a ready made 4 panel door shortened it then reassembled successfully? Gotchas?...
8
8

Petrol cap sealing washer
I've a basic petrol strimmer - Costco 6+ years ago. I had to have a little TLC today, and I noticed that the sealing washer in the petrol cap is shot. I'm not going to be able to get one off the shelf...
12
12

New Radiators when Decorating
I have just started a thorough decoration of my house (virtually all the ro oms) and I was speaking to a guy last week doing a similar thing and he sai d he takes the radiators off to aid decorating...
3
3

OT: Winfast TV input card; s-video pinouts?
I've got a PCI Winfast 2000 XP TV card here that I want to use to digitize video via the s-video connector. It's one of the boards with a short/tall form-factor, and so has a 6-pin s-video connector...
2
2

Any idea what this stuff is called please
It is fairly olde worlde steel anti slip/skid strip. Approx 1-1/4" wide. Used to be used on steps, treads, walkways etc. Need a couple of yards for use in the restoration of an old Scammell. This will...
8
8

Insulation between rafters
Might this be the best way of fitting an isulation board like Celotex GA4000 : (nabbed from Also, I'm restricted to 6cm as I'd like to leave a gap between the tiles and the insulation. Any tips on the...
11
11

finding correct regulator IC
I just acquired an ancient Vestax PMC09 DJ mixer, non-working - problem easily traced to a defunct regulator IC which isn't passing on any volts and everything more less works if it's bypassed. This...
22
22

fitting plasterboard with foam: never again!
Hi, I've tried fitting plasterboard to the wall using foam. Call me old fashioned but I think in the future I'll stick to screwing it to wooden battens! I bought 8x4 sheets of plasterboard so that I...
43
43

Anyone up late & need stuff from screwfix?
Just noticed their site is down for maintenance, but they are offering a free £10 voucher to anyone who wants one in the mean time...
1
1

Uh Oh
DIY 'possible cause' of explosion Hide your tools... A family member carrying out a home DIY job may have caused an explosion which killed two people and left a third in hospital, say police.
6
6

Decking fixing
Just ordered what seem like a small forest of timber for the frame of my decking. Q on fittings ... I am using 4x4 posts and then fixing 150x50 ring frame to these .. joists then hung off this frame...
2
2

wossit called?
Blockboard is that but typically covered with a veneer of ply on each side. If unsurfaced then its in effect just a number of narrow boards jointed to make a wider one. Quite often taken to an extreme...
9
9

Angle grinder bearings
Would rs shielded bearings instead of zz be alright in gearbox of large angle grinder. I think they should be as I think rs sealed is rated 240 degrees fahreheit
2
2

Contactless cards again! [OT in uk.d-i-y]
I believe it's £50/day max and they promise to refund any fraudulent transactions.
55
55

FAO Bill Wright
Bill I'm looking to either add a second LNB to my zone 2 dish to point at 19.2E, or, alternatively, install a second zone 2 dish with a dual LNB. Do you come as far as NW Leeds? Or can you recommend...
3
3