Subject Author Posted Replies

Cleaning rust
I need to clean the rust off trailer lights spade connectors. They have been exposed to sea water. Other than vinegar, hydrogen chloride or baking soda, is there a more specific chemical product that...
22
22

Vastly OT - names in SPAM
I get my usual quota of SPAM which gets past the ISP filter and generally it is generic or in Chinese. However I do regularly get SPAM with the name "Mrs Elaine Martin" in the subject line. Now I do...
7
7

compatible printer cartridges
First pack of Office Depot compatibles worked fine (Epson RX420) so I bought some more. However, it appears Epson are not to be fooled twice! This printer does not recognise etc.... Anyone know of a...
13
13

Roast weed?
I was contemplating how to deal with grass and weeds etc that tend to grow up on the drive. Its covered in pea shingle and under that, is compacted stony ground. Weed killers sort of work, although...
4
4

Hob igniter problem
We have a pretty old Creda gas hob with a button at the front which you depress to get a spark under each burner. The button rotates and removes to reveal one of those tiny cylindrical 12V batteries....
5
5

A garden Pissoir
Our garden is some 60m from the house down a path, past some other houses and gardens - ours is at the end of the plot.. We're planning some uphevals down there with a complete make-over in the next...
38
38

Extending room beneath eaves
In the process of removing lath/plaster with a view to extending the room beneath the eaves. So far: The photos show the mid-roof purlin and where they seemingly rest on the party wall brick wall....
18
18

DIY Concrete screws
In my local supplier, they have concrete screws... At three quid a pop. No wucking fay, am I paying that for a fecking bolt, especially if I want 12 or more. I recall a couple of years ago, the same...
13
13

Hob (pan supports)
Need to buy a new gas hob. Any thoughts on enameled steel - v - cast iron pan supports in the long term?
8
8

OT check in times
It's been a few years since I've been anywhere by air. I'm booked on a 6.30am flight from East Midlands to Dublin. The airport website says two hours should be allowed for check in. Is this mandatory...
19
19

Quickest way to burn logs, grass & branches?
Spent most of the day feeding crap through a new garden shredder, all I'm left with is a huge pile of cuttings that are too small to shred, various halves of trees that are too big to shred, and dried...
34
34

Stoves cooker problem
I have a Stoves EH600 cooker, and the main oven was failing to reach temper ature. The switch light was going out after the usual time, so i thought it must be the sensor, so i changed the switch and...

Bay window angle
Been fitting some cornice, and the angles round my bay window are odd. It's this sort of shape:- __________ / / / --------- --------- I'd have expected them to be something like 120/240 degrees, but...
4
4

Removing skirting
I need to remove some skirting - preferably with little or no damage. It is Victorian stuff made in three bits - a ornate moulding at the top, a plain bit of wood under that and a high but thin panel...
18
18

OT Nuclear power
One to wind TurNiP up. Old but still relevent. http://transitionculture.org/2011/03/15/ten-reasons-why-new-nuclear-was-a-mistake-even-before-fukushima-an-open-letter-to-chris-huhne-from-alexis-rowell/