Subject Author Posted Replies

OT: PC power supply
This morning something odd happened with my PC (Asus Core i7 m/b). I started smelling that hot electrics smell, and discovered that the power supply case was very hot. I opened it up (yes, I know) and...
4
4

Bosch (formerly Qualcast) Rotrack 320 Blades
Is it possible to successfully sharpen the blades for this mower? (Obviously, assuming not too badly damaged by stones, wire, etc.) Or is it not worth it? Any tips on technique?
1
1

How to dig holes in tree-root infested soil
I need to dig some holes in soft wet clay soil with lots of small tree roots in it. I've got a variety of spades, including a heavy narrow one for digging drains, but the roots make it very difficult...
31
31

lightweight threaded flange ?
I was going to get a couple of these for the stairs: But a bit expensive for what they are since the bolt and washer are nothing special. An internet search for "threaded flange" shows up various...
5
5

Irwin Multi-Material Cordless Drill Bit
Anyone noticed the Irwin drills that appear to be similar to the Bosch Multi-whatever drill bits? Anyone actually tried them? For example: Several seem to be a few mm longer than the Bosch...

Lidl folding knife, not wholly recommended
Lidl folding knife: n=showDetail&id=2675 or When these last became available (at 2.99) I was impressed with the sturdy build quality and bought a few to have around. In use however I have found that...
5
5

Fridge freezer, Hoover or Hotpoint?
After lots of web research and visits to Currys we are left with a choice of two freestanding fridge freezers made by Hoover or Hotpoint. Our requirements for size/volumes etc are specific and none of...
6
6

On the subject of boilers...
I have a rather old (mid 80's) Thorn Apollo boiler. I need to replace the thermocouple and the top socket every now and again, and brush out the chamber, but apart from that, it seems to just keep...
30
30

Boilers
Thought for the day. Why is a central heating boiler called a boiler when, if it actually boils the water it's faulty. JGH
30
30

Something thin...? (!)
Trying to rack my brains for something readily available and about 1 - 2 mm thick that I can use for a spacer in a long (well 3m) continuous run. I have plenty of those plastic spacers (though there...
14
14

Tips for painting skirting without getting paint onto new laminate flooring?
I have laid laminate flooring in a room. I am about to fit new skirting boards. I then need to paint the new skirting with primer, undercoat and gloss paints. In the past, when I have done this job...
32
32

OT, strange 'phone call, probable attempt at 'Advance Fee Fraud'
A bit odd, and at first, a little un-settling. I've just received a 'phone call (cold call) on the home land-line from a chap with a very heavy Asian accent. I could tell straight away he was in a...
72
72

Ammeter - which way
Remember the old type charge / discharge ammeters, where used a couple of turns of cable which used to sometime be fitted to vehicles ? I have one fitted to the tractor mower which is not marked + and...
11
11

roof & conservatory cleaning
I live in aberdeen,can anybody could be the roughist idea what would be a fair price to be expected to pay for the brushing down moss etc from roof and conservatory.I live in a bungalow with a slight...
12
12

Festool Domino
I've Googled high and low but can find no detail of the WIDTH of a Festool Domino tenon. Yes, I understand the different length Yes, I understand the different thicknesses But wtf is the width of the...
8
8