Subject Author Posted Replies

The future of the world?
"After the MIll was reduced the ground floor became the Nayland Light and Power Station which was closed in 1938. An electricity generator was powered by water running through the old Mill. In 1924...
83
83

Washbasin tap inserts
My bathroom washbasin taps have plastic inserts in the nozzle with holes in a kind of daisy shape. I suspect they are partly clogged. Are they removable for cleaning as I don't want to damage them by...
3
3

Scaffolding
Have to tackle a Leylandii hedge that I haven't cut in about 7 years. At th is stage it is nigh on 18' high. I have managed to get up to about 12/14' w ith a Stihl Kombi pole pruner with an extension...
24
24

Water heater tripping trip
Hi All, A friend has a smallholding with a small woden bungalow and has asked me to fix a problem with his water heater / electrics. Firstly, a little background (a little hazy as i've got most of it...
9
9

Couriers... again.
myHerpes are the new Gas Board: they wait patiently for the ten minutes whe n you're out of the house and then? "Sorry, we missed you." Last time they left the delivery in the landfill wheelie bin...
18
18

OT Pollution on a massive scale
Just thought I'd bring this up as a new topic. What some people here seem to want. I wonder what the cost of clearing this up will be? And who will end up paying.
9
9

Automatic vacuum socket?
Barely a DIY job goes by where I'm not using a power tool and, in many cases,a vacuum attached to it. What I'm after is a double (or more) socket (extension?) which can turn the vacuum on/off...
22
22

Septic Tank U Bend necessary?
There have been blockages in the pipe going to the septic tank: the farmer is proposing to remove the U Bend. Wouldnt this increase smells in the house, and might methane blow us up? [george]
11
11

Source of shaded pole induction motors?
Can anyone suggest a supplier for a replacement shaded pole induction motor? This is for a kitchen extract (not a hob extract) in a flat. The air outlet is linked to the building's exhaust system, and...
13
13

compact water tanks for flats
A friend with a flat has an all-in-one water tank, with a pair of header tanks on the top (heating circuit vented tank, and low pressure water supply), sitting on a large hot water tank. It's one...
4
4

Belt Sander Motor Problems
I dug my cheap belt sander out today having not used it for several years, and indeed not used it all that much back then either. Shortly after starti ng it up whilst it was running there was a...
6
6

Outside wiring
There is an SWA cable running down the garden at Handyman Towers, providing power to the shed. It appears to terminate inside the house at an FCU. This place seems full of bodged electrics, wall...
10
10

Multi-tool accessories
Does anyone have any suggestions where to acquire a few nylon brush type accessories for a hobby/multi tool without paying around a fiver a pop off fleabay? The ones I'm after look like mini chimney...
1
1

Power strip/distribution board wierdness
Symptoms - battery on my Logitech rechargeable mouse went dead. So - checked pins on charging stand and no apparent voltage. Pulled out end of power lead and checked pins (well, inside/outside of...
10
10

Honeywell CM921 Programmable Thermostat Wall Bracket
Does anyone happen to have a spare Wall Bracket for this thermostat or can suggest where I might obtain one? Ours somehow got lost during decorating! I have the Table Stand but prefer the wall...
1
1