Subject Author Posted Replies

Fabric protector
We have just bought a new sofa, and my Management has just decreed that I need to "Scotchgard" it before somebody spills something on it. Any suggestions precisely what I need to get, please? (It's...
4
4

Smart meter?
I've just had a letter from E.On offering me a smart meter. Do I want one? Why? (It's "free" - IOW, there's something in it for E.On, perhaps not having to send a meter reader? What's the catch?)
74
74

Decking Stairs - how wrong is this?
So I had a chance to look at the stairs the chippy had installed on my deck ing this evening. It was meant to look like this: But it looks like this at the moment: Apart from the landing (at the top)...
11
11

Mortice/tenon/dowel
My question concerns a heavy folding garden table made of some heavy hard wood - teak I think. It was damaged in a storm last Autumn. Today I got round to looking at the damage. Part of the folding...
6
6

What thickness soffit
Going to put in some soffit in WBP ply. Previously always used 9mm ply, as trussed roof centres were at 600. On this cut roof centres are at 400 .... is 6mm ply good enough, i.e won't sag between...

OT Forbidden
I tried to access a website. It came up "forbidden" 403. What does this actually indicate?
10
10

electric shock from solar panels
A warning to aerial installers! My son Paul removed an old aerial from the chimney and put it down on the roof, where it happened to touch the frame of a solar panel. When he picked it up he received...
67
67

canvas bags
What do they call those big canvas bags the construction firms use for delivering sand and other stuff ? The ones in the shape of a cube with 500mm or 600mm sides, with open top and 4 rope loops on...
14
14

Do I need an earth electrode?
At the moment, I have a TNS earthing system at home via sheath cable. The Ze measured at the supply of the house is 37 Ohms, when it should be below 0.8 Ohm As a consequence, I am going to convert to...
20
20

TD Line quality
I need to purchase four consumer units and 25 RCBOs I see good prices for the TD Line make, 'TD Line Circuit Protection - Wiring Accessories - Metal Clad - Metal Boxes' ( Is this brand of good quality...
1
1

OT Apprentice wages
They will rise from 2.65 per hour to 2.68 per hour. That's a whole 1.20 a week extra for working a 40 hour week. Would you still want your child to take an apprenticeship?
117
117

Makita jigsaw at wickes 99.99 & 29 free blades
Just bagged a bargain at wickes- Makita 4350ct with 29 free Makita blades, all in placcy box £99.99 Cheers Jim K

This week's DIY
First job mow the area where a swimming pool will be installed ... someday. Done with the tractor so that didn't take long. Then mow the lawn. That was made "interesting" when the blade broke with a...
33
33

sanding decking ?
Not quite correct title .... Just put down the last board on a decking project: Will be treating all wood with Liberon clear Decking Oil, just a thought, the first boards went down 3 weeks ago and are...
3
3

DeWalt Chuck stuck open
I opened the chuck on my DeWalt DW106 Drill all the way and now it won't close. I can't turn it like usual,not even with vise grips, and so I can't get it to close back down. Any suggestions?
7
7