Subject Author Posted Replies

Alternative to rubber for vibration absorbing?
I bought a "rubber bench block" on ebay, but when I unpacked it, it really stank and gave me a bad headache. I wanted to experiment by putting rubber blocks underneath my bed legs, to stop vibrating...
19
19

Perpetual motion?
In my late teens, a mate of mine was convinced that, but putting a propeller on the roof of an electric car, it would generate enough power whilst moving, to power the car. Nobody could dissuade him...
56
56

OT: likely cause of deflating tyre
I had a tyre that was losing pressure slowly. It was getting near the wear indicators and the MOT was coming up so I kept topping it up for a few wee ks and arranged for the garage to replace it...
27
27

And now the dishwasher is tripping the electrics
After having a problem recently with our AEG dishwasher (circulation pump motor, which was sorted) it's now got another problem. As soon as you turn it on (using the button on the front) it trips the...
6
6

Moss Killer
Nice house wall painting weather, patching up the few places the paint has failed. One patch I *know* I wire brushed and repainted last year. It's failed again, because there must be moss embeded into...
20
20

Let's go fly a k...
I am trying to imagine the kiteage required to replace one modest power station (gas, oil, coal, nuclear or even recycled bog paper).

Lou Del Bello: Kites that harness steady winds...

18
18

LEDs - a dummies' guide?
I've been following the various LED threads with interest, as we're about to wire an extension and I'd like to use LEDs in kitchen and bathroom. But I'm now thoroughly confused. I had thought the best...
14
14

Bar shower installation - is this acceptable?
Had a "pro" install a bar shower. He also added waterproof board and did t he tiling, so had all of the necessary flexibility to ensure that all joins were made perfectly. The final installation looks...
12
12

Bird sh*t removal
Some bird suffering from amoebic dysentery sh*t on bonnet of sons new black car. While the deposit washed off it appears to have etched itself into th e lacquer. He's naturally chary of trying various...
4
4

Toolshow 2013 FYI: 20th--21st July, Falmer, Brighton
Hi All no idea how it compares to other shows - I'm local to Falmer and went last year, a few other people here said they'd have gone if they knew about it: Cheers Jon N
1
1

Red and white LED lights
I don't suppose I'll be able to buy what I want, so I'll have to make it as usual. I want two 12 volt LED lights that can be switched to red or white (or mayb e yellow), and shine over a wide angle....
12
12

Warping 4 inch fence post
Built a gate and attached it to a 4 inch fence post last year, gate is roughly 3 ft x 5ft high, I have done similar previously with no problems but the post in this one is warping ie going banana...
8
8

Are wireless door bell makes compatible?
If we buy a new wireless door bell press button, would it have to be the sa me make as the old receiver, which is working perfectly well? I know you h ave to tune the transmitter to the receiver, but...
4
4

Freeview
Lots of messages this week about needing to do a re-tune (Waltham). Now I struggle to get HD Why do the higher channel (58) numbers have a lower signal strength on the TV display. Also (on my...
44
44

OT Are all heating engineers touchy?
Having looked at various replies to the question' How do I work out what size boiler I require?' it's noticeable that many take the form of 'I haven't trained as a heating engineer for 30 years to...
49
49