Subject Author Posted Replies

TOT: How to examine end of 10GB log file on a Windows PC?
As per title ... I have an improvement I wish to make to a program, not one that I've written, but I did write most of the 680x0 emulator that now runs it on current hardware. I hope to discover a...
13
13

OT: touchscreen stylus
Does a stylus for a modern (capacitive) touchscreen have to have a rubbery bulb on the end, or can they be somewhat sharper? I've tried the bulb-on-pen kind: it's not much more accurate than my finger...
4
4

Heavy duty cable clips?
I have an armoured cable running down the surface of wall from a secondary consumer unit . Cable is about 14mm-15mm diameter. At the moment it is not fixed and I want to fix it straight and vertical...
14
14

Ashes
Anyone know of a means of watching the Ashes cricket via the internet? Mike
3
3

Amber Windows L plates needed.
Anyone know of this shower? Driving down to J6 of the M6 this morning at around 8:30, one of their cretins was bellowing a foul mouthed rant about my "cutting him up". Whether he was on a phone or...
22
22

Anyone dismantled a Quinny baby carrier?
My son and daughter-in-law have been given a used Quinny folding stroller for their new baby. It appears to have a built-in gas strut - which is compressed when it is folded, and which assists it to...

Running the house on a car battery
There was a power cut for a few hours last night, and there was nothing to do. I could read a book by torchlight I suppose. But since I have an inverter I thought I'd run a lead from the car to the h...
8
8

Solar LED's
Bought a set of solar LED deck lights - with a remote photocell/battery pack. I want the photocell/battery pack on the shed roof to get max charging, but the cable ain't not long enough. Makers say...
7
7

OT quotes
I am looking for quotes to regenerate my patio and paths. I have been pointed to "" are these sites reliable?
1
1

Well, that was a satisfying result
I picked up two 240v mainframe cooling fans for 50p each at a car boot, with the idea to replace the inadequate ones I have had botched for a few years, to circulate heat from the oil burner in my...
7
7

cordless impact wrench - for car wheels
I'm looking to get a cordless impact wrench like this as am getting on a bit and changing wheels is not my favorite pastimes. Having said that I don't do it that often so don't need the all-singing...
25
25

Undercounter fridges
Partner wants to replace a built-in undercounter larder fridge. Couple of Qs: Due to the extra expense and loss of fridge space of a built-in, I'd like to consider a freestanding fridge. Is the lack...
10
10

OT sun and wind question
let's say hypothetically we set up a billion offshore wind turbines and solar panels, positioned to harvest the maximum energy from wind and sun. Each turbine, each solar panel steals a small amount...
53
53

Rebated wood cladding / overlap joint
Anyone got any idea where I could get this (East Sussex) - doesn't seem to be available off the shelf anywhere... Ideally treated (it's for soffits) - but it's quite well sheltered so I could make do...
13
13

More on LEDs: some numbers
Late last summer I went around the house replacing halogen lamps with LEDs, which resulted in such things as 430W of kitchen lighting being replaced with 32W of LEDs. At the same time in the hall and...
29
29