Subject Author Posted Replies

Do these electric calculations look correct.
Does this figure look correc,t using a 7.5KW shower 10 minutes a day costs only £2.43 per quarter, appears to be too cheap a running cost. Watts 750 Watts/1000 0.75 hours used 5 kw x hours 3.75 unit...
17
17

cv
7
7

That walkie-talkie death ray ... a different perspective
Just read As for the Walkie-Talkie, Shepherd thinks the developers could employ a number of possible solutions. "They could coat the windows to reduce reflection - which would be a cheap fix - but the...
46
46

Security Screws
Are any of the screws sold as security screws, such as clutch headed screws, reasonably secure in practice?
14
14

Xpelair not starting
Hi, I have an Xpelair unit in my bathroom that is supposed to come on with the light cord but is only doing this sporadically. Sometimes it comes on, sometimes it waits a few minutes and sometimes it...
3
3

A concave building? What madness
They actually built this thing without considering the sun reflecting off i ts concave sides? I hope they are forced to paint the windows black. .article Parking bays underneath Rafael Vinoly?s Walkie...
69
69

Woodwork joint
I have to join some 4.8m lengths of 200 x 47 timber ... end to end This is on show so no desire to use fish plates or any metalwork .... The solution seems to be to use a Scarf joint i.e: I have only...
19
19

Trade UK account - activating
I have a Trade UK account (Tradepoint, Screwfix etc,) and want to set up online to manage the account and pay bills. Tale of woe here for anyone following on and trying to do the same. Just managed to...

sliding door rails.
i forgot to add to the list of jobs i have to do i have to enclose our open lada. a simple job that just means putting up another shelving rail on one wall and putting up a side with a rail on it and...
8
8

Covering up a bad paint job
Some years back some idiots decided it'd be a really great idea to paint a room in our house in aubergine, using that colour matching thing. So, now it's blotchy, partially faded aubergine and looks...
15
15

Glazing old windows
I am about to replace some panes in the windows of an old building (WWII!). They have metal frames each pane is about 9" square. I have 2 questions. i) Is there a modern material to replace linseed...
6
6

Terminating old SWA
While fixing parentals washing machine last night (broken wire to motor it turns out) I had a look at the "damaged shed feed" Turns out to be rather ropey... 3 core 2.5mm SWA running to shed. in shed...
14
14

What is a bathroom (Part P)
There seems to be a trend at the moment for putting baths in the bedroom. For the purposes of Part P does that make the bedroom a bathroom? If not then if I put a bed in the bathroom would that make...
13
13

are kwh the same for gas and electric
Ok maybe I am being thick this morning but I have been monitoring my electricity usage and have found that between my PC and the electric kettle it accounts for 30% of my electricity bill. I can...
30
30

Hedge Trimmers
Talking to my local (relatively, actually 50 miles away) farm shop today about hedge trimmers. They don't do Stihl or Viking, as recommended here previously - in fact he rather rubbished them, saying...
2
2