Subject Author Posted Replies

Opening out loo seat fixing holes
I need to increase the diameter of the holes in the loo by 4mm. What is the best way to do it ? Is there some sort of tapered boring tool for china/earthenware (or whatever loos are made with) ? Jim...
8
8

Flow restrictor?
Is this a simple service valve or is it restricting the flow? -- Richard http://www.cogsci.ed.ac.uk/~richard/valve.jpg
30
30

OT: Microsoft Office
I know nothing about computers but someone in the family has to do it and I seem to be less frightened than the rest of them, so I've drawn the short straw. A relative has taken advantage of a scheme...
32
32

Jollyfil water level too high
I posted about this problem a few months ago, where the water level in the cistern was filling up above where it should stop, and then overflowing into the toilet. At that time it seemed to have...
9
9

ways to make windows translucent, temporarily?
Hi all, I've taken over a building that I want to use as a workshop and will later want to use it to a dwelling. While I am using it as a workshop, I'd like to make the windows translucent so that...
24
24

Electric Kettle or Gas Saucepan Cheapest Use?
I got to wondering whether it was cheaper to use gas or electric to make our cups of tea. So I sent this request to the technical department of my utility supply company....
49
49

Webcam with thermometer built in?
I want to keep an eye on Mum's old house through the winter (it's empty and 250 miles away; we've still got the house: she died in the spring). Got a web cam in which is doing what it should ok....
8
8

VA versus watts
It doesn't seem to work out here, compared to other manufacturers. Anyway, what power factor should be used? Bill http://www.qvsdirect.com/150va-dimmable-electronic-low-voltage-transformer
47
47

epoxy tile grout - anyone used it?
Any gotcha's with mapei epoxy tile grout? Lots of grumbles on web about epoxy grouts in general (mostly from plumbers...,) but seems straightforward enough - or is it? TIA Jim K
5
5

Combined doorbell and camera lets you see callers on smartphone
Looks like a good device for DIYers who like gadgets: I've just ordered one Idoor Cam – Dubai, UAE
2
2

OT:Harsh winter
Last night, over an hour, saw 7 separate flocks of birds (I'm not ornithologist) all flying roughly south, in a "V" formation ... Do they know something we don't ?
17
17

Glow Worm 30sxi - hot water but no central heating.
The system has been used lightly since last October. It fires up fine. It heats DHW but there is no central heating. What is the problem likely to be?
20
20

Z-wave heating controls
looks rather fun. Anyone got experience of/recommendations for Z-wave heating controls, e.g. Danfoss Living Connect? How to get a Raspberry Pi to take over your Robot House • The Register Z-Wave.Me...

Smelly rug
How do I clean a rug of dog smells? It's either leave it out in the rain or leave it out in the bin for my list so far.
9
9

Combi-Boiler in a bedroom?
If this is a possible location forced by planning regulations on a listed building is it likely to cause "sound pollution" problems for anyone sleeping in the same room (even if behind cupboard...
1
1