Subject Author Posted Replies

Recessed Downlights
I am really struggling to figure out how many spotlights I will need for my living room. I will be installing 240v mains downlights (50w) Room size is 3.37m x 4.50m. Height is low at 2.40m. Does...
12
12

Copper Clad Steel "CW1308"
> conductor resistance of
44
44

Silverline chain saw
I have a Silverline electric (mains powered) chain saw, purchased years ago. It still works well, but I see it is no longer listed by them. Anyone know why ? Jim Hawkins
6
6

GU10 lampholders - getting paint orf
Following up to my previous post about the wisdom (or lack thereof) of putting GU10 lamps in the dishwasher (now on a rad to dry out) What's the easiest way of getting the paint off these fittings? If...
10
10

Soakaway - attenuation cells
I'm doing two soakaways for rain water; both require 3 cells. I'm looking at the guidance on paving For 3 cells do I do them as line or can I do a pair and the third one at right angles ? There is...

Tip of the day
Don't put GU10 lamps in the dishwasher. They're not watertight. Don't ask me how I know...
18
18

Digital weather station
I have a Technoline weather station. The outdoor transmitter has been 'playing up' from time to time. Now it is not sending a signal and shows the reading OF.L (oC) which the manual tells me means...
6
6

600x600 Paving slabs
I need to match some 28 year old paving slabs but haven't been able to find anything - can the assembled masses help? The slabs are boring standard 600x600 but have a slight curved "quadrant" profile...
3
3

CO2 and the answer to fossil fuels and power stations
Shove the waste back to where the power came from. Plans to carry power station carbon dioxide across Yorkshire to the North Sea in a 46-mile (75km) pipeline go out to public consultation....
16
16

Altering a roof truss
I am having trouble getting a loft ladder because the spacing between the r oof trusses is non -standard. The gap between the two trusses I want to pla ce the ladder is 53cm and the nearest fit I can...
6
6

Bit Off Topic Mouth Acid
Looks like the latest scientific information coming from dentists is that if you brush your teeth straight away after a meal, especially a sugary dessert; you are simply brushing the sugar and acid...
12
12

Braun Shaver Battery
I have an old Braun "Linear Universal 5 266" rechargeable shaver. Some years ago I replaved th ebattery with a NiCad and reckon it is time I did it again. The last time I clumsily soldered in a...
13
13

Following on from the boiler thread ...
And people here whinge about FIT. That lot would never be viable if started today. Note all the grants and subsidies. That really is a bollix scheme. Going back to ancient technology. Stuff like that...
58
58

Monitoring pH levels... how ?
HI Folks Or domestic water supply is from a private borehole. To reach the borehole, the water's percolated through a peat-laden Irish hillside - so it naturally pretty acidic. Untreated, it attacks...
89
89

OT: Using Talk Talk HG523a as a Wireless Bridge
Hi All, I've been struggling to set up the router that Talk Talk have supplied me with as a bridge - anyone got any tips or experience of doing this? Thanks
3
3