Subject Author Posted Replies

Heated Bathroom floor = cracked tiles ?
Some years ago we bought a new turnkey bathroom from a bathroom shop -(Think muppet show on skis) including an electrically heated bathroom floor. Within a few months the tiles (proper thick floor...
7
7

New BT Infinity connection - what is its look & feel
moving! New pad long ago had a BT connection. BT Infinity (fibre bband) is in the area. Please if I go BT, what do I get? (or am likely to get), viz: 1. Connection from house to street - Will this...
90
90

Banco replacement heating valves - any good ?
Hi all, long time no post here. I'm slightly surprised not to be able to find discussion - here or elsewhere - of Banco motorised valves as Honeywell replacements. Since they're about quarter of the...
2
2

Water softeners not good for combi boilers?
I was surprised yesterday to be told that water softeners can be damaging to combi boilers; I'd never come across that before. Googling reveals no unanimity of opinion on the subject and I'd be...
42
42

Laptop Battery (OT)
I need a new battery for my Dell. Looked on E-Bay. Loads available - any pitfalls or recommendations gratefully accepted. (Model J1KND)
7
7

OT Anyone near Sleaford coming to London in next 4 weeks?
Looking for someone to help out taking a smallish bench vice from Sleaford, Lincs to London. The vice doesn't have much value but getting it here would be appreciated. Willing to pay for the...
6
6

AS gaes sweep acroos England wasles and scoltand..
wind turbine output is only out by a large nuclear power station, from the forecasts... I wonder if a lot have shut down or toppled over. I have a glass of champahne every time one does...
3
3

Bike pump
I know there are at least two cyclists here.... Some cyclist, having repaired his puncture on my forecourt, forgot to pack away his pump. Now I have a bike but no pump so my initial inclination was to...
7
7

Dyson challenges EU ruling on his hoover's energy efficiency ratings
Never mind his cleaners are heavy, expensive and foreign made shit "...Dyson said that testing its vacuum cleaners in an empty lab wouldn't take into consideration their bagless design, which means...
18
18

alluminiam soakers used for flashing on roof of boilerhouse to wall of extension to house.
Help please. I got a new roof fitted to the extension of my house two yea rs ago. The roof is slanted from the roof of the main house which is a hip roof. on the side of the extension wall is a...
3
3

Bizarre issue with Eico smoke detectors
Very good point. I can therefore surmise that my assumption was based on an assumption, and an incorrect one at that. Apologies for the noise. Mathew
6
6

Going rate for changing a gas hob
What would be a fair rate for a gas safe fitter for changing a gas hob (assuming an average number of embuggerances)? Assume that the customer is supplying his/her own hob. Tim
25
25

uk.d-i-y is going....
... only 24 unread posts this morning (overnight), a new low point :-(
34
34

OT: WiFi interference
Not DIY but I'm hoping to tap into the electronics expertise here. In our home cinema setup there's an active sub-woofer that's picking up interference (a constant burbling noise) from a WiFi router...
32
32

Wiki: Rekey a lever lock
feedback welcome... NT There are 3 ways to rekey a lever lock: *file levers *swap lever positions *replace levers *and arguably a fourth, altering the shape of the side of the lock ===Swap lever...
11
11