Subject Author Posted Replies

Central heating on yet?
About a month ago people were speculating about when they might need to turn on the CH again. Still not on here (Suffolk) although there is a big difference between back and front of the house. Back...
12
12

OT - OVO Energy Prices - Double Standards
Chief Executive on Breakfast TV today, extolling their virtues and how transparent, cheap and green they are compared to the big six. A few lies there, for a start obscene standing charges for gas of...
19
19

Water level sensors in dishwashers
Hi, Dishwasher's gone wrong - it's in "emergency pump out mode", where the pump runs all the time even with the door open. It's a Bosch Logixx - about 10 years old. I'm probably not going to repair it...
24
24

Water Butt
Ages ago I bought this huge rain butt from ebay for, literally, pennies. In spite of all sorts of problems and rain, I finally made a wooden stand for it and rushed in between showers to plumb it into...
24
24

OT: TV choice
Anyone bought a new TV recently? Want one at least 45" with enough inputs. Haven't kept up with the market so could do with some guidance. I already have a Humax HD PVR which does I-player, etc. so...
48
48

fireback and throat width question
Hi - a quick question about throat width for an open fireplace, which according to regs (doc J) should be 10-12cm. I'm using a 22" wide fireback. Nobody seems to sell a throat-forming lintel for a...

fireback and flue throat question
Hi - a quick question about throat width for an open fireplace, which according to regs (doc J) should be 10-12cm. I'm using a 22" wide fireback, for which unfortunately nobody seems to sell a...

Fence Advice
So the fence came down at the weekend in the wind... Not unexpected at is was just screwed into the top course of bricks on a low wall (previous owner of this place was something of a bodger!). The...
20
20

EU to flush your money down your toilet?
One of the benefits of being on a UKIP mailing list is such delightful snippets as these Less 'Part P', and more 'part-pee'.. "Further down, the minutes of one of the expert group meetings singles out...
296
296

Pro paint finish and dust / bits in paint
I now hate painting (especially gloss), due to "bits" that always appear in the paint. I would like to know in a professional gloss painted thing, say a white gloss door, how many "pimples" beyond a...
15
15

Simple pleasures...
Decided it was time to do something about the light in the downstairs bog and eventually bit the bullet and bought a 12W LED from Toolstation, as in No 14618 shown on: It has one compelling feature:...
5
5

Can a 40mm waste pipe be run through an internal timber stud partition wall?
as header like 15mm copper tube or 1/5mm2/2.5mm2 T&E can? Will this structurally weaken the stud partition wall? Reason I ask is we want to put a sink in one corner of a room against a stud and...
11
11

Is buildings regulation approval and/or planning permission needed for the following:
for the following 3 scenarios: A serving hatch between a kitchen and a dining room to be opened up into a proper door frame and door with a lintel installed? This is a single skin breeze block...
2
2

Problem with no power on several plug sockets
Ok so I have about 8 plugs not working, after one of them blew a fuse. After a week of doing all the standard checks I can'tfind the problem, please help. I have checked; - the fuse box/consumer unit,...
23
23

O.T. All my DAB radios have started making a burbling sound
I've got a couple of Pure Bug DAB radios and both of them have completely stopped working. I've got two other DAB radios and they are now making horrible burbling noises which I associate with poor...
13
13