Subject Author Posted Replies

Curtain rail - corded or not?
We have a difficult window to curtain. It's deep and relatively narrow. The reveal is 16 cm deep and absolutely square sided. The window (traditional Scottish sash) is near enough 100 cm wide, 140 cm...
6
6

Stacking fridge and freezer
Is it possible, and do you need a special kit as you do with washing machines? Andy
6
6

Garage Roof
Garage roof has been collecting water for a while. Now it's dripping through and bowing. Time for action but what are the difference in prices/best to go for? Bit of googling shows standard asphalt,...
7
7

Replacing ceramic hob
I want to replace an old 1990s Siemens ceramic hob with a new one (Siemens ET 651HE17E). The brochure says it needs a hole in the worktop of 560 mm x 490-500 mm. The hole in our worktop is a few...
17
17

Fridge freezer, freezer working, but fridge not
Hi I have a hotpoint fridge freezer, the freezer is working fine, but the f ridge is not getting as cold as t should. The freezer door was not shut properly last week. I closed it and thought n othing...
17
17

CH pump vibrations: any advice?
Howdy Our CH pump is vibrating -- quite a small amount, but SOMEWHERE in the system the pipes are vibrating against joists/floorboards, and causing a thrumming which is heard all over the house....
13
13

Odd central heating problem - relay or thermostat switching a motor
When I moved in 13 years ago, there was a central heating system utilising only radiator stats. I fitted a room thermostat (the basic bi-metallic strip variety), which connected live to the motorised...
9
9

Hot water Ravi valve
Could someone please tell me what a hot water Ravi valve is / does on a domestic central heating system? What would the consequences be, if it got stuck? Thanks PeterL
3
3

Central Heating Wiring
I am just about to reconfigure my heating system (System boiler) Currently there is a three port valve controlling the heating and hot water cylinder I am going to fit 2 "wet" plinth heathers in the...
5
5

Is it allowed ...
... to use 3 core (ie, brown/blue/earth) flex where the earth is used as a live conductor? (With appropriate red markings)? The twilight sensor on my outside lighting has failed, and I don't really...
46
46

Any problems with Mitsubishi dehumidifiers...
...apart from the cost? While they are more expensive than the competition they do seems to be quieter, less expensive to run and have a reasonable reputation for reliability. Grateful for any...
2
2

Ideas of typical costs....
My daughter has just been to view a 1960's 3 bedroom detached house. All is original and it needs a complete rewire (Wylex rwirable fuses - 4 circuits at present). It also needs a new boiler -...
40
40

Fireplace cover when starting fire
I have a standard victorian fireplace in my property. When I start a fire I often hold a newspaper (non-tabloid) over the opening to cause an up-draught and so encourage the fire. I assume most people...
20
20

Hot water pump questions.
We have a booster pump in the cylinder cupboard. It's a simple installation (it is just fitted in the hot water supply to the house), but works okay. But there are, as some of you will no doubt be...
8
8

Plug-in MCB's still available?
My elderly mother's house still has re-wireable fuses. Nothing wrong with that, but one of the lighting 5A circuit fuses went the other day, fortunat ely while I was there. It was a melt type failure...
34
34