17 Celcius ?

Outside thermometer is reading 17C at the moment. Midlands.
I've known cooler summer days ....
Jethro_uk expressed precisely :

Only 14C here on the west/north Yorks border.
On Tuesday, 7 January 2020 18:03:12 UTC, snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com wrote:

Global warming.. S'obvious.
On Tue, 07 Jan 2020 10:24:33 -0800, harry wrote:

*shrug*
Who knows ? It's not unheard of (I know they were reading 18 in Scotland last week !). And I remain wary of a Feb/March freeze.

Don’t know what the temp here was Thursday morning but I saw a Peacock butterfly emerge from a shed and fly around the garden, we have some Winter Honeysuckle and some Heather in bloom so it found some sustenance. A few bees around as well ,and judging by the racket around the Pond the Frogs are waking up and getting amorous as well. Trouble is things wake up too early sometimes and then get caught when we do get the Feb cold snap. Another plus for today was we didn’t need to have the heating on till after 9pm and in truth we could have left it off completely .
GH
On 10/01/2020 01:24, Marland wrote:

Today is 4°C here
Brrr....

On Tue, 7 Jan 2020 10:24:33 -0800 (PST), harry

Is that an observation on the incorrect spelling of Celsius :-)
On Tue, 07 Jan 2020 18:03:08 +0000, Harry Bloomfield, Esq. wrote:

Well it's supposed to be 11 according to the Met Office. Admittedly the sensor is in a slightly shielded spot. But nowhere near anything that pumps out heat.
Here its been 8 degrees most of the day with a cold damp wind. Brian
--
----- --
On 07/01/2020 17:41, Jethro_uk wrote:

chilly in anglia. 8C other side of a warm front I think
look exactly the same afterwards."
On Tue, 7 Jan 2020 17:41:14 -0000 (UTC), Jethro_uk

High, but not exceptional. http://tinyurl.com/yh5wv6zx
18.3°C in Aber in 1958 and 1971 and in Aboyne in 2003. It's just weather; nothing to be alarmed about.
--

Chris

In the middle of Summer in Wellington New Zealand it was also 17 degrees yesterday with a light wind but it was from a cold direction, apparently. Oh and the smoke from Aussieland has reached New Zealand as well today. Brian
--
----- --
On Tue, 7 Jan 2020 19:22:23 -0000, "Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\)"

I was watching something on TV the other day that showed just how thin our atmosphere is.
Whilst it may be 300 miles thick, apparently only the first 10 are really usable and as a percentage of the diameter of the earth (~8000 miles), it's pretty small.
I think if we could see and smell vehicle exhausts like often did in the old days ... or imagined it as the pee detector dye they suggested was in swimming pools, many might think more about how often they drive (or what they drive) or what they burn in the garden.
What goes round comes round?
Cheers, T i m
On Wed, 08 Jan 2020 10:54:39 +0000, T i m wrote:

There's a graphic somewhere on the web that has all the water on earth gathered up onto a sphere an placed on the surface of the planet. I think there is one for the atmosphere as well. It really does show how tiny the volume is that can support any life. As for humans we can only naturally live (as in find/grow enough food, fuel, shelter) in the bottom mile and half (8,000') or so of the atmosphere.
--
Cheers
Dave.

Frightening really, considering how much we dump in both.

Even worse.
Poor old Diatoms getting a pasting.
Cheers, T i m
On Wednesday, 8 January 2020 10:54:41 UTC, T i m wrote:

and the ozone layer averages out at just 3mm. if it's the same programme as I was listening too.
On Tue, 7 Jan 2020 17:41:14 -0000 (UTC), Jethro_uk wrote:

Up to 10 C for the last few hours, it started at 3 C @ 0000.
1400' on the North Pennines.
Also wary of the end of Feb early March, that is always the coldest time of year. The days are getting longer and the sun higher but the overall energy balance is still negative.
--
Cheers
Dave.