17 Celcius ?

Well it's supposed to be 11 according to the Met Office. Admittedly the sensor is in a slightly shielded spot. But nowhere near anything that pumps out heat.
Reply to
Jethro_uk
*shrug*
Who knows ? It's not unheard of (I know they were reading 18 in Scotland last week !). And I remain wary of a Feb/March freeze.
Reply to
Jethro_uk
High, but not exceptional.

18.3°C in Aber in 1958 and 1971 and in Aboyne in 2003. It's just weather; nothing to be alarmed about.
Reply to
Chris Hogg
In the middle of Summer in Wellington New Zealand it was also 17 degrees yesterday with a light wind but it was from a cold direction, apparently. Oh and the smoke from Aussieland has reached New Zealand as well today. Brian
Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)
Up to 10 C for the last few hours, it started at 3 C @ 0000.
1400' on the North Pennines.
Also wary of the end of Feb early March, that is always the coldest time of year. The days are getting longer and the sun higher but the overall energy balance is still negative.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I was watching something on TV the other day that showed just how thin our atmosphere is.
Whilst it may be 300 miles thick, apparently only the first 10 are really usable and as a percentage of the diameter of the earth (~8000 miles), it's pretty small.
I think if we could see and smell vehicle exhausts like often did in the old days ... or imagined it as the pee detector dye they suggested was in swimming pools, many might think more about how often they drive (or what they drive) or what they burn in the garden.
What goes round comes round?
Cheers, T i m
Reply to
T i m
There's a graphic somewhere on the web that has all the water on earth gathered up onto a sphere an placed on the surface of the planet. I think there is one for the atmosphere as well. It really does show how tiny the volume is that can support any life. As for humans we can only naturally live (as in find/grow enough food, fuel, shelter) in the bottom mile and half (8,000') or so of the atmosphere.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice
Frightening really, considering how much we dump in both.
Even worse.
Poor old Diatoms getting a pasting.
Cheers, T i m
Reply to
T i m
Don?t know what the temp here was Thursday morning but I saw a Peacock butterfly emerge from a shed and fly around the garden, we have some Winter Honeysuckle and some Heather in bloom so it found some sustenance. A few bees around as well ,and judging by the racket around the Pond the Frogs are waking up and getting amorous as well. Trouble is things wake up too early sometimes and then get caught when we do get the Feb cold snap. Another plus for today was we didn?t need to have the heating on till after 9pm and in truth we could have left it off completely .
GH
Reply to
Marland

Site Timeline Threads