Subject Author Posted Replies

Semi-detached house. 2nd floor on rear extension possible?
Suppose you have a 2 storey semi-detached house with a single storey semi attached extension at the rear (typically kitchen / bathroom), how easy is it to build a 2nd storey above the extension on one...
4
4

BT Sport internet deal
Apologies for the cross post but I hope to get both technical and end user views on the BT Sports deal as it might possibly be useful for my technophobe parents. They are not internet savvy and so...
2
2

Mre on cobalt 60 theft..
Oh look, they haven't got radiation poisoning..after all ;-) ------------------------------------------------------------ Six suspects, apparently unharmed, have been arrested following the theft of a...
10
10

preserving whitewood
I've just installed 4.2 metres of 280 X 2000 mm shelving. It's only whitewood, and it's not a thing of beauty, but I'd like to stop it rotting or getting eaten by woodworm, so before I load it up with...
6
6

Varnish
We have a 30 year old (not very expensive) sideboard that serves a useful purpose and is the right size so I don't want to replace it - but the top has got a bit marked by hot plates and scratches. I...
4
4

Air brick regulations or recommendations
Anyone know what the UK regulations are for air bricks? Or, failing that, any general recommendations on their use and airflow to the rest of a house? By air brick I mean something like this: I...
7
7

Whirlpool AWM8103 washing machine - flashing door open light
Posting this for the archives in case it helps anyone searching for it in future. Whirlpool AWM8103 front loading washing machine, about 10 years old. Pretty sure the internals of this will have been...

Shower diverter valve question
We have a Mira Atom bar thermostat shower, with both a hand-held shower-head and an overhead 'deluge' head. A diverter valve allows selection between one or the other, or both together. However the...
6
6

Stocking fillers
Around this time of year I am usually struggling to find some unusual small but at least faintly useful presents... One I have been impressed with is the GloTorch using a 3M DayGlo yellow...
9
9

Powerline adapters - any recommendations?
Check for one thing - a friend bought a dual band 2.4/5GHz router/AP, and it'll only do one or the other frequency, not both simultaneously. Feh. Not sure which model, I'm afraid. Cheers - Jaimie
47
47

Insulating a steel bath?
ok, fiddling about fitting, waste and feet etc. to a steel bath, pondered whether it would be worth insulating it - squirty foam? Though I'm thinking that with a big surface area on top, and an...
14
14

John Rumm on boilers
To quote you, "Note that if running the boiler from the genny you will probably need to make sure that earthing is correctly connected for the flame sensing to work properly. So basically set the...
18
18

Any washing machine engineers here?
Hi all Our Miele W460s wahing machine has developed quite a leak from the door and although the gasket looks to be undamaged I'm hoping a straight replacemnt will fix the issue. I've had a go at...
6
6

World hand drier
I hears of some scrotes who discovered that, if you stretched cling film across a sink with sensing taps, the surface movement was enough to keep the tap running indefinitely. Software clearly missing...
18
18

Dexion Speedframe.
That's the square section steel stuff where you hammer in corner pieces etc. Is it just normal square section steel tube - or specially made? It's just that it comes painted black and I want a...
7
7