Subject Author Posted Replies

Shocking electrics
(pun intended) I'm changing the living room light switch and budging it to one side slightly so needed to remove the back box. Tucked away behind are a pair of earths, I wondered why they were not...
17
17

Re-using an old Air/Air heat pump
There’s a building near me awaiting demolition that has a Mitsubishi “Mr Slim” heat pump with “R410A Power inverter” printed on it. I rather suspect it’ll go for scrap so I’m wondering...
14
14

The Rich World’s Climate Hypocrisy
The Rich World’s Climate Hypocrisy By Bjorn Lomborg, June 20, 2022, WSJ The developed world’s response to the global energy crisis has put its hypocritical attitude toward fossil fuels on display....
1
1

OT Can people not do mental arithmetic or use a calculator any more?
"Some Asda shoppers are asking cashiers to stop scanning items when the till total hits £30 as they try to cut costs, the supermarket's chairman says." know lots of people are suffering - I have made...
266
266

OT - tablet clamp for van/Motor Home
I've tried using the apparently useful pop up clamp on the 2016 Fiat Ducato dash board but this points the tablet down the centre of the MH and has a very poor viewing angle. At the moment I use an...
6
6

Camera
When your neighbour's friend puts your bin back and realises he's right in front of a security camera.
6
6

OT: Scintillating Scotoma
Hey, Sometimes my vision goes a bit funny and I get a dull headache after a aura lightshow, where I can't do things that are critical like work or drive. Thankfully I can only count three occasions it...
37
37

Why did the UK change from round pin to square pin plugs?
Why did the UK change from round pin to square pin plugs? Fuses and sleeves could have been added to the round ones just as easily.
166
166

Triax Multiswitch
It appears that our existing Triax multiswitch is about to fail completely. I've been searching around and the latest versions have a terrestrial active/passive switch. Before I go ahead and order...
4
4

What pipe is this and how do I join to it?
I want to change the basin in the bathroom. It was installed 50 years ago, and the main problem I anticipate is joining up the new basin waste to the old waste. The old waste is plastic, appears to be...
13
13

The gasman calleth...
UK Power came as arranged this morning, and fitted a new cut-out (they called it) Basically what I've usually heard called the company fuse. All very efficient. So what to do with their new earth...
5
5

Primus 2000 / Calor gas 340 cylinders
Hi All, I have a blow torch (Primus Powerjet) which uses these refillable cylinders which have a female thread (measures around 14mm diameter). Thinking these are standard a bought a similar looking...

Wired up some lights
Neighbour had some LED striplights wired up by a friend. - Flex joined in 'choc block' terminal strip wrapped with gaffer tape and nailed or screwed to the ceiling. - Tinned ends of striplight wires...
26
26

Light tuning itself on in the middle of the night
She swears it was not on when she when to bed but was on when she woke up at 1am because it was on. It's in Derby do I cannot just call in but she is a reliable witness as to the events. And the light...
28
28

If Oil Companies Control Prices, Why Do They Ever Lose Money?
If Oil Companies Control Prices, Why Do They Ever Lose Money? by Robert Rapier, Apr 24, 2022, ExxonMobil executives are sitting around a smoke-filled boardroom, saying “Well, we have the public...
2
2