Subject Author Posted Replies

Hairline crack in ceiling
Hi I have a hairline crack across my living room ceiling which is annoying but bearable. However previous attempts at filling and sanding to disguise It has left a wide band across the ceiling which...
5
5

Two electric meters measuring the same usage?
Recently bought a shop with a flat above.... 2 meters in the cupboard, the supply is split by means of two black junction boxes between the shop and the flat. I had assumed that there was a meter each...
17
17

Sealing PVC frame to brickwork
Hi One of my PVC windows is leaking in between frame and the brickwork. I noticed when I had a replacement back door fitted, that the sealant the guy used, was much firmer and felt far more permanent...
18
18

Alternatives to sandbags?
I've spent the past few days helping neighbours who have suffered flooding. [Thankfully we have not suffered but it has been perilous close. Sadly we lost a wonderful weeping willow 10 days ago. About...
10
10

Cooker lead extention
A friend hadd to replace their cooker so brought one but the installer said the cable was too short so he couldn't install it so left. (PC world/currys or some shop) Seems there are two options 1/...
8
8

Varnishing floors
I need to varnish the stairs, hall and landing and have a bit of a logistics problem. Short of shipping the animals out for a week and living in a hotel I can't see how to do this. I can only think of...
7
7

Heat sinks for LED downlighters?
Proposal is to insert LED downlighters into the kitchen ceiling (replacing old central lights). The attic is immediately above the ceiling with a good thickness of rockwool (c250mm). LEDs are...
10
10

Downlighter choice
Which is the best choice for ordinary domestic downlighters - GU10 (240V) style or MR16 (12V & requiring a transformer)? Beam angles vary a lot. So the basic choice seems to be between lots of fairly...
6
6

Light meters
Ebay has light meters from £10 up to £££. Varied ranges, accuracy and features. The meter is required to evaluate optimal downlighter options (kitchen work top etc). Any recommendation(s) please?...
5
5

OT Sending and Receiving Emails
Not strictly DIY but I know there are some knowledgeable people on here that might be able to explain this in plain English so.... I've been trying to explain to the Mrs why emails that she sends or...
60
60

statins again
Anyone taken in by the renewed pharmaceutical industry plug for statins should first read "The Great Cholesterol Con" by Dr Malcolm Kendrick. Jim Hawkins
36
36

reflectors in LED floods
I have bought and installed some 10W and 30W LED outdoor floodlights. I was interested by the fact that the width of the beam is considerable, and the illumination is very even. I thus examined the...
8
8

OT: German bomber in London station roof during ww2
I'm certain that I remember seeing a picture of a German bomber (He111, I think) embedded in the roof of one of the London railway stations during WW2, but Mr Google hasn't been able to help me find...
22
22

Why are light switches not earthed?
When using plastic switches and a dry lining back box there's no earth. How come? Ta.
33
33

Qs re MR16 & GU10 downlighters
Trying to understand modern downlighters(!) Typically these push into a c.80mm dia hole cut in the ceiling plasterboard . There seem to be 2 distinct styles: A. 12V based on MR16 bulbs usually wired...
3
3