Subject Author Posted Replies

Backdraught flap - make my own?
My bathroom extractor fan doesn't have anything to stop draughts coming in when the fan isn't working. I could get something like: but I was wondering why not just get a large soft drinks bottle, cut...
7
7

Bricks
Mate is having some garden walls built after the storms blew some fences down. Single brick about a meter high with 9" pillars with wood panels between. Doing the entire garden - so must look good to...
8
8

Carpet glued to concrete
Any suggestions on how to get the carpet up. This is seriously glued to a concrete floor. I can pull chunks up, but much is left behind. Any ideas gratefully received.
9
9

Sharpening long knives
After titting about trying to get a good a flat edge on my planer blades, I decided to make a jig: Seems to work pretty well... Planer knife sharpening jig - DIYWiki
2
2

Dishwasher salt question
Not striclty a DIY question I know but I hope you'll bear with me. Recently and suddenly our dishwasher has started leaving us with cloudy glasses (rescued only by hand washing), a "powdery" feel on...
23
23

Problem with maintained emergency luminaires
Have recently bought a bit of kit equipped with 3x Emergi-lite EWL38MPC maintained emergency lights. None of these work correctly. Not too ancient, datemarked 2008/09. All nicad batteries are...
7
7

Replacing oven element - how easy?
Oven died earlier this evening - fan and everything still seem to be working, but element looks dead I can see it, and it is not heating up). Missus trying to use this as an excuse for a new one... I...
14
14

OT Time for direct action
But I have just had the info on my Dad closing down the building site (38 houses) next to his house. Direct talks with the management about noise before 8am (not allowed) and mud on the road not...
13
13

Logging electricity usage - recommendations please ?
HI Folks Noticing the recent threads about 'What's your electricity usage..?' - I would appreciate recommendations for monitoring kit for whole-house (not single-socket) energy monitors - ideally with...
20
20

Pressurising an oil storage tank
Why would he want to do that? I hear you ask. Well, I find that when my 1200 litre capacity heating oil tank level drops to the last 8 inches or so, the boiler starts locking out. So I end up with...
37
37

Smart enery monitors
I've often wondered about one of those remote monitors showing live electricity usage. The ones I see all seem to have something clamped around the supply cable to measure the 'flow', are these...
14
14

Scaffold attach to wall how?
How to attach scaffold to a wall? Are there clip/bolts for sale, if so what are they called, or where on the interweb shall I look? Some double brick walls, some thick stone and lime walls. And is...
8
8

Rechargeable batteries are they worth the bother.
Have a large collection of AA and AAA batteries and was wondering are they worth the bother in this age of chepo alkaline batteries.
14
14

Concrete piles - loading
Are there any rules of thumb or rough guides for how much static load a pile say 100mm dia and 1m (or varying) depths will support in clay soil? I'm mentally planning the workshop and I would like to...
8
8

electric hob in mobile island unit - how to "plug" in/out?
most elec hobs are hard wired to HD cooker switches not plugs so if one wanted an elec hob in, say, a wheeled island unit feature, how/with what would one wire it so it's "unpluggable" if the island...
10
10