Subject Author Posted Replies

Fence Posts
Looking to install some new fence panels in existing concrete posts. Just measures between the posts and they are exactly 6 feet apart 183cm. with 2.5cm deep channels in the posts. Todays standard...
7
7

Number of locks on entrance door of a flat?
Is there anything in English Law, Building Regulations, best practice, etc. , which applies or recommends a limit on the number of independent locks, o r of independent locks which can only be opened...
20
20

HHGTTG on the radio
OK so it's not DIY but there must be others on this group who are interested in listening to it again. Arthur Dent is trying to stop his house being demolished. But what about Planet Earth? Douglas...
35
35

Slate bodge
I have a friend who wouldnt spend £1 if his life depended on it. His unfe lted Victorian slate roof has had a lot of slates replaced, its well overdu e for reslating, but he wont remotely contemplate...
27
27

Open fire chimney backwind problems
We get backwinding especially with gusty SW winds which have been prevalent recently. The house is behind and to the side of the main block of houses which are to the South. I'm looking at: How do...
9
9

OT USB hard drive
Some long while ago, I bought a Buffalo USB 1Tb hard drive. It is physically quite large and came with its own wall-wart PSU. I have not really used it much. This week my ISP sent me a new router,...
7
7

Two story deck
The two floors of my deck rest on 100x100mm timber. They are nailed, and I had galvanised plates to hold the whole thing together in case of hurricanes etc. The building inspector seemed happy with...
8
8

What are the fluffy bits for?
http://petersphotos.com/temp/fluffy%20bits.jpg
20
20

Replacing Sarking
Hi all, Is there some way of replacing sarking in a roof from the inside and without removing (or disturbing too much at any rate) the tiles? Or the battens?? cheers, cd
17
17

Sourcing Router bits
Any suggestion for makes/sources of general purpose router bits. 6mm 1/4" 8mm. I am only doing d-i-y, and yes I have google and looked at what is available: but if anyone has any suggestions baswed on...
6
6

Broken Oven Light
Small Edison screw 25W 300°C bulb has gone in our oven. The glass bit fell out when we removed the cover, leaving the base firmly (too firmly for my other half with a pair of needle nose pliers)...
41
41

Dishwasher salt light tempremental
Our (just over 2 year old) Hotpoint dishwashers salt light came on a few days ago. Sure enough it took about 1Kg of salt tablets. Usually the light doesn't go off immediately, so I didn't worry too...
13
13

Let's help this guy :D
take a look :)) http://www.gofundme.com/Realize-the-dream
4
4

Fitting lintels and Builder's Insurance
I have a quote for fitting a lintel above the lounge window. There is a history of how this double glazed window got to be installed without a lintel but that's another story. The worry is of course...
14
14