Subject Author Posted Replies

OT: Babbage's Printer
Was finally built in 2000, and works perfectly. Not only did it print, but has some surprisingly advanced features too. In fact its more advanced than any printer I've encountered from before the...
4
4

Torbeck valve oddness
Hi all, My toilet cistern has a (bottom entry) Torbeck valve to manage the filling. In the last few days this has stopped working properly; it might start filling correctly for a while but then locks...
2
2

OT: Potato Crisps
Slice potatoes with a mandolin, to get them really thin. Soak in water until they start to curl at the edges (this takes starch out and makes them crunchier). Drain well and pat dry with kitchen towel...
23
23

Cleaning old tile grout
I've just done a partial re-tile in a shower and need to get the old grout (which is intact but stained) looking better. I've seen recommendations for baking soda, bleach and special grout cleaners -...
6
6

Mapp gas torches
From time to time I toy with the idea of getting a mapp gas torch... (got a Bernzomatic quickfire II at the mo) has anyone made the switch from a decent propane torch to mapp, care to comment on the...
3
3

IP Cam FTP to local disk
Following on from the USB hard drive subject earlier.... I have an IP camera, which when it alarms, stores images to either an external FTP server, or sends emailed images. Instead of using the FTP...
11
11

Beware phone number scammers;!...
As they say if it sounds too good to be true;!.. We're advertising a house for rent at the moment and had these two replies. Looks a very good offer doesn't it?. Except that when you phone those...
112
112

energy
Program about energy on BBC1 @ 1930. (Tonight Mar 10th) Might be a bit shit, dunno. Bimbos, and what can you say in a half hour?
18
18

"Speed it up" horror
Foolishly, I fell for a 1$ offer of a collection of so-called "Speed it up" apps. When they started taking an age to install, I decided to cancel. But the remains have no delete option, and have...
17
17

Limescale remover
What is the best remover for this these days that won; 't destroy the shine underneeth on a bath and take the glaze of the toilet? I am sure its got a lot worse in the last couple of years, I almost...
11
11

Multimaster and SDS in perfect harmony
This weekend's fun, or how to hack lumps out of a wall so that no one notices! (adapt, correct, hack about etc as usual!)...
18
18

Gloss/Satin
Two tins of Wilkinsons One Coat paint, both solvent based, both with the same dire warnings about high VOCs. The gloss is interior & exterior, the satin only interior. Why's that then?
5
5

Dulux One Coat Gloss on top of Dulux Weathershield flexible undercoat.
A painter friend of mine insists that the most durable exterior paint system is Dulux One Coat Gloss on top of Dulux Weathershield flexible undercoat. This just doesn't make much sense to me but I was...
1
1

double glazing, window types
I am wondering if anyone can offer their experience of what is the best type of window to fit in a bathroom / toilet? Mine need replacing ( have gone milky -yes! a result, have been waiting for this...
13
13

Gridwatch France
..now in beta errors and omissions to here (uk.d-i-y) French National Grid status
26
26