Subject Author Posted Replies

Good decent multi meter
Any recommendations please? Just needs Ac and DC volts (up to mains level) amps and Ohms. All help appreciated.
47
47

OT:Bad UI design ...
Pan newsreader for Linux has the "watch thread" option above the "ignore thread" option - with hilarious results. Tip for anyone who has accidentally ignored a thread. Go to "View...Header Pane..."...

Carpet fitters (& handymen)
Aunt is fitting a 12'x12' hand stitched carpet in a 15' x15' room . I seem to remember (many moons ago) carpets were laid with a large border of linoleum, then fitted carpets came along and carpets...
5
5

OTish Battery like on smartphone?
Said smartphone is a Samsung Galaxy Ace2. Previously if I eft home with it 100% charged it would last all day, maybe dropping to 40% charged by the time I got home. For the past week its been dropping...
37
37

Oh, the irony..
"Manufacturers of nuclear fuel within the European Union will be eligible for national subsidies to cope with the additional costs of using electricity generated by renewable sources in operations,...
1
1

US power system
Found the 2 below quotes by mistake when googling, relevant parts asterisked. How on earth does connecting a 240 V load make the missing neutral problem go away for the 120 V appliances? I can answer...
144
144

barrier material between metal & treated wood?
So, I was thinking about getting one of those el-cheapo metal storage sheds at work. Reviews indicate that the supplied floor kit is utter crap, so I figured I'd build myself one using...
6
6

Intumescent strip
I am considering beefing up an existing internal Pine door with Oak (because I happen to have some) tongue and groove for improved sound and fire resistance. Ist. question, how to fix the Oak? Steel...
7
7

OT Mumsnet must be well informed
Just had the Scarborough warning off my Mum about damaging the bedroom carpet in Filey.
9
9

how noisy is a gas combi
Thinking of replacing oil boiler in garage with a gas combined in the airing cupboard. The airing cupboard is in the middle of the house up stairs and I was wondering how noisy are they in operation...
6
6

thermostatic mixer bar spares/repair
A mate's thermostatic bar mixer has decided to play up. The tap head spins without engaging with the innards. It seems the splines are stripped. He's taken these photos: reckon the splined part should...

TRVs on all radiators - conflicting advice
First, the problem. The coldest room in the house is the lounge but the radiator without the TRV is in the hall. We don't always want to heat the lounge, but when we do we can overheat the hall (and...
10
10

Can anyone explain this wiring?
I had a bit of trouble with out immersion heater the other day. For some unknown reason it came back to life whilst I was testing it but I was confused by the wiring in the switch. Take a look at this...
45
45

OT: maybe W8 (or W8.1) defrags SSDs even though it's not meant to
I stumbled across this an hour ago: (It's quite long, and quite detailed...) My impression is that the author does seem to have a good reason to believe that W8[.1] is not leaving SSDs alone, and that...
5
5

Cheap compound mitre saw
I'm going to be getting through a fair bit of sawing in the near future, so can definitely swing something through domestic management. But, long term, it's not going to get a LOT of use, so nothing...
38
38