Subject Author Posted Replies

A good sander or grit for material removal
I have a decent DeWalt random orbital sander but often want it to remove surface material more quickly than it does, even with a coarse-grit paper. Some ideas: 1. Paper with an especially deep grit,...
13
13

Fastening battens through insulation
I'm planning to insulate my cellar with Gutex wood fibre (the cellar is clo se to the Gutex factory, and yup, that means "not in England"). Gutex reco mmend their Thermosafe-wd with a humidity...
2
2

SDS drill recommendations
I'm going to have to make about 80 fixings into hard concrete. My existing hammer drills chews approximately one masonary drill for five holes - I am going to need an SDS. I was thinking of something...
21
21

Help with Dyson DC03
Can anyone help with step by step instructions on how to get at the motor. Mine has suddenly started arcing. Thanks in anticipation.
7
7

Cr*p strimmer cord
The cord on my Flymo strimmer breaks and I have to dismantle the head and re-thread it just as soon as it gets anywhere near anything slightly solid. Can anyone recommend a decent brand of cord?
17
17

Hotpoint fridge freezer repair
Thought I'd write up a repair I did last weekend. This is a frost-free fridge freezer, single compressor, bought 1997 IIRC. Symptom is that the fridge stopped being cooled, intermittently at first,...
6
6

Crimped joints
Any thoughts on insulated crimps plus heatshrink versus heatshrink crimps? e.g. This is 2.5mm^2 T&E which will be plastered over, and a decent ratchet crimping tool, obv.
7
7

Lime mortar pointing
This is repairs to a Scots farm cottage some 200 years old which might well have been re-pointed sometime in the last century using beach sand !! I hadn't spotted until recently that the CI down pipe...
20
20

I'd forgotten this....
The tiling from hell.... Photobucket
4
4

Worlds smallest wood screw?
Included in a John Lewis venetian blind. Used to fix metal brackets to a wooden fascia strip. Had to use a PH0 watchmakers screwdriver! Where would you get a screw that small?
10
10

DIY 6V battery charger
In a fit of madness, I just bought a project car that's old enough to have 6V electrics. Am in need of a battery charger as the vehicle's sat for a while since the last run; it looks like ones that...
18
18

UK wide car delivery - FREE
I'm now retired, love driving and travelling so I've been thing to offer a free service moving cars around the country. I was wondering if there might be some call for this sort of service? I would...
26
26

OT: Something for the birds
Here ya go, you can watch these chicks hatching over easter. Two have already! (no commercial interests) http://www.jet2.com/crackindeals

Er..pardon?
Looking online for strimmer cord, I came across this puzzling statement: "This is a quality non-genuine replacement spare item." ... which sounds as though it is a quality fake. Hmmm.
19
19

OT: Free Dynamic DNS provider?
I've been using DynDNS for a few years, but they're about to close down their free service and start charging. All I want to do is to be able to get remote access to the router at my holiday flat...
16
16