Subject Author Posted Replies

Electricals: what kind of switch do I need for this?
Hi, leccies, I've got this single to three phase converter running a lathe motor; 230v in, 230v out. I'd like the ability to swap phases over so I can reverse the motor to run the lathe in the...
18
18

Wood Burner Flue
A quick question. This is an 1890 terrace. In the front room we have an open fireplace with a gas fire that just vents up the flue. Open flame type with non-flammable coal look alike blocks (what's...
6
6

Plastic hob top rivets?
Hi al, Anyone seen these available anywhere please? They (4 off) are a small plastic 'rivet' type thing that retain the hob top onto the oven itself. For some reason, one seems to have fallen to bits...
4
4

Electrical Count
Someone selling a house has been told by the buyer's solicitor that the property needs an "Electrical Count" - the solicitor didn't know what one was. Any ideas?
17
17

OT:Poisons ...
just watched an episode of Breaking Bad, where a character manages to assassinate the entire management of a cartel by taking an emetic, and then presenting them with a bottle of "Zafiro Anejo", which...
75
75

Samba Mobile
It looks as if Samba have taken the money earned by its customers watching ads and run with the profits.
5
5

Laying vinyl on vinyl
I have a vinyl floor in my kitchen and bathroom and it's skanky. I'd like to replace it but I've found that it's pretty well stuck down. Could I lay a new floor on top of the existing vinyl floor? If...
4
4

Mortar blade for angle grinder
At last a project where 'use an angle grinder' is correct answer. Need to remove a load of poor pointing on a patio ... advice is to use a mortar blade in a 4" angle grinder. Anybody used these .......
12
12

The best way is to put the drill in reverse
I needed to drill some holes through softwood. They had to be 4mm diameter and the wood was 125mm thick. The 4mm drill bit wasn't long enough, so I used it as far as it could go, then got a bit of 4mm...
8
8

Ronseal pump fence sprayers with Ronseal one coat fence protectors??
Does anyone know if you have to use the sprayable Ronseal one coat fence protector with the Ronseal pump fence sprayer,or can the normal none sprayable protectors,the kind you put on with a brush be...
8
8

Memory
Katie, who is 11, was helping me in the workshop today. She told me how some of her class been in trouble for filming the teachers covertly. Of course I told her how, in 1965, I'd made a sound...
192
192

What's it called, sprung cable retaining P clip?
I'm after some spring steel P clips. The type that have barbs on the wings which will grip the web of an I or U section beam. These for use on an old lorry in restoration. Don't want to drill holes in...
7
7

SDS drill bits
I've ordered my new SDS drill (Metabo KHE 2444 for £100 from eBay), but b efore it will make any holes I'm going to need at least one bit. There's a wide range of price points on these. Is it still a...
20
20

Drystone wall replacement.
Had a wall of around 50 metres give way during the winter gales. It will take the rest of the year to cut away the trees who's collapse caused the wall to partially demolish. I have very good reason...
6
6

Timber types and selection?
Hey guys! I'm a new DIY-er and an avid flight simulation pilot. I want to make my own cockpit using MDF and timber but have no idea where to start. I've been told not to screw MDF to MDF as MDF is a...
23
23