Subject Author Posted Replies

OT: Is there no requirement for government ministers to be numerate?
Anyone hear the item on BBC R4's 'Today' Programme this morning (Tues 6th May) about the abduction of the Nigerian school girls? In seeking to explain the difficulty in finding them, Foreign Office...
13
13

flickering light / voltstick question
Hello, A few weeks ago, I posted about a CFL that flickered in the bathroom. I never got around to posting the conclusion to this. I found that the neutral had fallen out of the fan isolator switch!...
3
3

Shelving
I need to put up 4 shelves in a 20cm-deep living room alcove. Thinking of this: The back wall is plasterboard on studs/insulation board; the ends brick. What would be the best way of supporting the...
5
5

Split load CU
This is totally hypothetical - but I was wondering... Never seen the inside of a split load CU, except on google. How is the L-flylead taken from the main switch (Live, Load side) to the RCD (Live,...
33
33

Passing cables through walls
I need to put some flush sockets near where the TV is going to be situated. The wall is papered and I would like to avoid the usual chasing and re pla stering so I intend to carefully remove the...
18
18

The carpet on carpet problem
After many decades of frustration with carpets moving/rucking on carpets, I finally have found a solution which works for me without nailing the top one down. Buy a couple of office carpet protectors...
6
6

A better measuring and marking system?
I use a traditional steel rule and sharpened pencil for marking off wood, but I did wonder whether there isn't a modern replacement for ruler and pencil? For example, a "measuring rod" like a giant...
54
54

Stump removal
Need to remove stumps of overgrown shrubs from the garden. Diameter up to about three inches. Is winching them out a good DIY solution? Would need to hire a winch. Any tips?
25
25

OT Highest tower in the world.
A new tower of Babel? The US Conservative commentator Andrew Klavan has been on the receiving end of a history lesson after criticising a female character in the Netflix series The Witcher who fights...
5
5

External power
We've got a pond, which when we cleared it out proved to have a fountain and a filter box feeding into a little waterfall. These are fed by a little waterproof switch box on the wall which is...
7
7

DIY wiring likely to cause RCD trip
The people who lived here before me wired outside security/night lights not to the lighting circuit but to a socket ring. Although controlled by a wall switch the lights actually plug in to a socket...
7
7

OT Trade with EUSSR.
The report claims the UK’s exports to Europe have grown at a slower rate than our trade with other leading countries outside the EU bloc, over the past four decades.
1
1

PAT tester
Any recommendations for any particular PAT tester? It will be used commercially, and will test a very wide range of elecrical goods. thank you NT
4
4

Dyson refurb
ISTR a standing offer by Dyson to refurb their cyclones in any condition fo r £50. The website currently says £79 + filters + accessories though - is there a better deal out there still? NT
2
2

Risking it all on a Poundland Purchase.
Poundland are doing a little cable with USB at one end and five connections the other end to connect to a variety of different Smart Phones. So you can charge your phone from your laptop. Would the...
65
65