Subject Author Posted Replies

Curtain Track - Whoosh!
A little while ago I posted about a broken curtain track cording thing. Got that sorted after thinking about the possibilities properly. Not wanting the same failure to occur on the other three...
7
7

OT: Awkward Squad
I want to collect together a large number of ideas for subverting some of the more exasperating aspects of modern life. It doesn't matter whether they are legal are not, for my purposes, but they must...
84
84

Follow-up: "A better measurement and marking system"
Following the advice I got in the thread, I ordered a 300mm Incra rule from as the product isn't available on I received it this morning via Parcelforce, within two days of it being despatched in...
85
85

Earth cable path TT
I finally got around to buying 10 mm Earth cable to connect earth electrode to cu. The easiest path for me to do this is, up the wall from the electrode, across the loft space and down to the cu. Is...
2
2

Minor bumper repair
Wife caught a piece of rusty angle iron reversing in a car park and left a nasty V shaped nick in the outer profile of the rear bumper. Damage limited to the extreme edge and about 4mm deep feathering...
24
24

Zinc Effect
I bought some steel brackets from Screwfix yesterday described as zinc effect. What on earth is zinc effect? Kevin
5
5

Fixing plastic capping to masonry walls.
Heres a tip that I self discovered. I find that when I nail plastic capping to masonry wallls to cover cables, three things happen. either the masonry nail bends or the mortar is so soft that the nail...

Fixing to Dot N Dab
We have an epidemic of new build houses around here, all with internal block walls lined with plasterboard fixed by dabs of adhesive. The new owners of these properties all seem to want large TVs,...
9
9

Vaillant turbomax cuts in and out when filling bath
hi our Vaillant turbomax is heating water when filling bath but now and again the gas goes out but then a few seconds latter relights and heats the water again can anybody help
6
6

immersion heater thermostat cut out button
Hi I have a solid fuel rayburn unpressurized gravity system with immersion hea ter back up for summer use when the rayburns not in use. When the rayburns running the hot water can get very hot, enough...
3
3

OT: PC Backups...
Okay, a bit OT but hopefully people won't mind. I have a hodgepodge of mostly full hard drives inside an ageing XP SP3 desktop PC, a 400GB, two 500GB, one 1TB, and two externals of 1TB each although...
4
4

Another connector Q
I had tagged this on at end of previous threat ... but thought I promote it to its own thread as it may have been missed. > I have another (very good) CTEK charger, does anyone know if you can get...
4
4

Aerial amp & 4 way splitter
A friend wants an ae amp & splitter or a lfot box, he does like cheap but it needs to keep working ok. Where's good to look at the moment? thanks, NT
87
87

What's this manhole?
I noticed a round metal cover in our loo this morning, its approx 5 inch diameter. I've lifted it and there's rusty looking water water in it, it could be water that's leaked into it because it...
22
22

Best option for spray finishing MDF, Ply and wood project?
I am currently working on the mother of all bookcases: (its about 8' wide and 9'6" tall - and so far has used about ten 10x8 sheets of material and a shed load of softwood) Made from mainly MDF and...
2
2