Subject Author Posted Replies

Replacing a door handle spring?
Apart from electrics/electronics, my DIY skills are poor, so I'd much appreciate advice please. The spring of the door handle on the downstairs loo has been getting progressively weaker for a year or...
20
20

Cleaning nozzles of dishwasher rotor arm?
The rotor arms of our dishwashwer strike me as the epitome of bad design. The spray nozzles at the tips continually getting clogged with tiny bits of crap which are almost impossible to dislodge. If...
5
5

Wheatstone to the bridge.
Odd what you think you know, but clearly don't. Take this ear Salter Body Mass Index bathroom scales that I obhtug from a charity fubc for 3.48zu. It has the usual compliment of four electrodes, two...
17
17

sealant for stone in bathroom
A friend of mine has had her bathroom walls and floor done out with Indian stone - looks good (including fossils of ferns!) But it's not currently sealed in any way. The bathroom fitter was going to...
3
3

Source for 8-bar water pressure-relief valve
Following on from the "What's this dripping pipe" thread a couple of weeks ago... I've got a weeping 8-bar pressure relief valve on the cold water inlet to a megaflow hot water cylinder, and I want to...
13
13

Weird tale: Touchpad/Trackpad
I don't feel like testing the patience yet again of the UK homebuilt ng by serial OTness, so I'll inflict this here. I've got a really nice Lenovo X201 laptop from ebay that I would like to make my...
12
12

OT:Sungold tomatoes
Does anyone know why you can't get these from supermarkets any more. Loads of seeds, plants to grow yourself (I guess that's the diy connection), but no shops *anywhere* selling them. Thank god we...
18
18

Central heating remote control
Ok, so British Gas have got Hive and Scottish Power (who currently supply our gas and electric) have got Scottish Power Connect. Has anyone got one of these systems? How good/bad are they? I don't...
11
11

Plastic fencing
Has anyone here used, or had any experience of, vinyl fencing? I want to run a traditional picket fence (straight top, plain caps, nothing fancy) across the bottom of my garden and I'm tempted by the...
25
25

sealing plywood edges
I am re-flooring a farm trailer with 3/4" WBP plywood. Inevitably this will be exposed to sunshine and rain. Is attempting to seal the edges worth while and, if so, how? Also how much expansion gap to...
5
5

OT: Very strange
Email is not working this evening... In fact stopped several hours ago. - ISP is PlusNet - Web/internet access seems ok. - tried to receive emails from two separate PCs, both wired - nothing - tries...
26
26

wood routers
Is there any problem using a plunge router as a non-plunge one? I don't know what to buy. Bill
39
39

Best chemical metal
Helping a mate build his race engine and there's a buggered thread on the water pump in the aluminium block. Someone's had a thrash at it in the past with a drill and tap so there's not enough...
11
11

Heavy attic door
My heavy attic door is held up by a slightly insecure spring catch, which can be opened from below by a hook on the end of a pole. I'm worried that the door might break free and swing down, possibly...
18
18

BBQ
We are looking to replace our 2 burner gas BBQ sometime soon. Our price range is £80 to £110. Can anyone make a recommendation? Thank you
40
40