Subject Author Posted Replies

Protega OCF90 paint - Any Good?
Has anyone experience of this paint system? Seems to be aimed at agricultural and structural steel work and is a primer as well as top coat. Slightly suspicious of things that seem too good to be true...
2
2

Silly Questiion?
What purpose does sleeving the earth wire in 13A sockets serve - other than to comply with the regs.
17
17

So much for disintermediation...
I need to build some paths, so used the Wickes web site to price up what I needed. Total came to about £640 inc VAT and delivery. Then I thought - let's see what happens if we cut out the middle...
10
10

Clamp a board to a railing - quick and removable - how?
I want to clamp a piece of board across the railings at the front of our little boat so I can mount a small vice on it. I don't want this to be permanent, just for use when I need it. Can anyone...
10
10

How do women think?
I'll be putting the cat down tommorow (diy job) and what does the gf do today? She buys 48 pouches of cat food because it's on special offer. I would not mind but she watched me dig the grave last...
182
182

Acid drain clearer - source and going rate
Looks like I'm going to have to try sulphuric acid drain clearer on a nasty and difficult to reach drain blockage. My friendly chemical supplier has 4 x 3kg doses for 15quid which is fine value wise...
9
9

Eurocylinders
Curiosity question: Can you get a "keyed alike" eurocylinder made up from an existing key, rather than bought as a set. This will be E*S barrels.
6
6

nailing green oak to old oak - pilot holes?
I'm replacing a few old split rafters with new ones, made of new 'green' oak. Someone said use stainless steel nails because of corrosion from the oak. Should I drill pilot holes in either wood? Would...
4
4

Fluorescent water dye
Hi, does anyone know about the health risks of these dyes? According to the blurb available on them they are not harmful to fish at the levels normally used. I'm wondering what effect they would have...
21
21

Finding a soakaway
Somewhere under my back garden there's a soakaway pit, fed from a gutter downpipe. I'd like to run a second feed to it from guttering newly fitted to my garage, but I have to find it first. The garden...
44
44

threads from here copied elsewhere
google has shown me copies of threads from here at: and whats going on? So that's the main switch - does it have to be 100A and remember it is a time delayed model. One other option would be to have a...
27
27

Metal primer
Looking for a suitable primer for use on a machine accessory that I'm building at the moment. I want a good foundation so that a top coat is likely to stay on and not blister off or chip too easily in...
5
5

Cleaning Gutters
I assume that it is OK to extend the ladder such that it actually rests on the gutter? Or ideally should you use an extender at the top of the ladder to offset the ladder from the supporting wall?
23
23

Tarpaulin support ideas please
My 12'x12' shed roof has gone so I have two temporary requirements: 1) to stop further deterioration of the shed 2) to cover various contents, not just from the shed but also from my now closed down...
6
6

Rated people for tradesmen
I wonder if anyone has used Rated People to find a tradesman. I am looking for a good plasterer to board over both sides of a two part glazed partition and apply plaster so as to blend in with the...
37
37