Subject Author Posted Replies

LED Tubes
Been looking at LED replacements for 28w fluorescent tubes. What isn't clear to me, is do you simply replace the old fluorescent tube with an LED tube? Or do you need to rewire the fitting? Remove the...
9
9

Any terrorists about?
It seems that the proof that someone is carrying a phone, laptop or bomb is to ask the owner to turn it on. If it works then it's fine and perfectly safe to zoom around the skies with a few hundred...
89
89

Asbestos Garage
Any ideas on likely cost of removing and disposing of an asbestos garage single width - double length.
18
18

Bullshit detector: claimed welding experience
I was talking to a friend of a friend in a pub and he claimed that when he left school, he did an apprenticeship as a welder and that he worked as one for several years. Okay, no problem. The chap...
58
58

Air bricks in a cavity insulated wall
I was looking to re-route my aerial and satellite down leads under the floo r and to save myself a bit of wall drilling was looking to pass them throug h a convenient air brick. I assumed that as in a...
7
7

OT: CPC vs Farnell prices
Exact same item, delivered from CPC but in Farnell packaging. CPC £0.68 individually priced, buy 100 and the price drops to £0.47. Farnell £1.50 with minimum order quantity of 5, buy 100 and the...
18
18

OT: WFT was THAT !
Sitting here minding my own business (working on a powerpoint presentation ;) ) when from the kitchen, where SWMBO has just started lunch ... BANG - - really explosive. I rush through, and find SWMBO...
30
30

non-selective weedkiller
On previous landscaping projects after preparing ground .. have given the area a dusting with a non-selective weed-killer, then laid Geotex weed membrane on top. The product I used was Boracil (aka...
14
14

Oak wallplate cracks - should i cover it? how?
How shall I cover these cracks in the oak wallplate before putting the slat es back? Any accidental water would sit on the oak, creep down the cracks i n it and by the brick chimney and rot it. The...
3
3

Plugging a 32mm strap-on boss
I'm changing some basin waste plumbing and will be using a pan connector with an integrated waste socket rather than the existing strap-on boss on the soil stack ... question is how to blank the boss...
3
3

Kitchen "splashback" paint
Does anyone have any recommendations for paint that can withstand being washed now and then on a kitchen wall in the area that is often tiled above a work surface? I don't like the look of tiles and...
4
4

Please help i'm stuck in bell push wiring
Hi there guys, I'm Uzair from Pakistan. Here we have 3 phase 4 wire system and while my house was being constructed, i put two wires (Red & Black) from main distribution board to one of the pillars of...
14
14

changeover sw?
SWMBO wants to put a ceiling fan in the conservatory ... one option would be to connect feed from the existing light ... As it would still need existing light to work ... would therefore need a pull...
13
13

uneven slabs for shed base
my cousin built me a shed base of slabs for an 8x6 shed, we were building o n a slope its quite uneven the slabs are sloping,ive got 8 breeze blocks,iv e got 3 on each side 2 in the middle ive not...

OT Renewables UK
Renewable enrgy in the UK Renewables now supply one fifth of energy – up 43 per cent in a single year
5
5