Subject Author Posted Replies

Tacking cat6 cable to walls
Son's cabling initiative continues to throw up questions. He has got the hall back to bare brick and blockwork, with the intention of getting all the CAT6 cables into place and then employing a good...
50
50

OT but diy vitual xp
Would anyone give a brief guide to copying my current xp installation and then running it on a new physical pc? Is it 1) install something like VMware Converter onto current xp machine 2) create VM...
32
32

OT Utter incompetence
Just received an annual credit card statement from a bank. First time ever. Anyway it shows we spent £xK and paid them £xK500 with no interest charges! The idiots have just grabbed 2 dates and not...
6
6

Replace Rayburn Solid Fuel Cooker Firebrick
I have a Rayburn 200SF solid fuel cooker. The bottom firebrick are deeply p itted, and I think they should be replaced. I can buy the firebrick online, but I can find no instructions/information on...
9
9

hot and cold tap washers
Renovating an old house, we found the cold washers were rubber and the hot washers were fibre. Presumably because the rubber expanded with 60 celcius water. Now every brand I see claims to be suitable...
4
4

multi tool velcro sanding pads - any alternatives?
Fed up of multi tool velcro backing pad things losing their grip &/or getting messed up with the backing of sanding sheets.... Are there any alternatives? I have a tungsten carbide rasp but thats...
6
6

Gutters overflowing
Whilst I dry off... Semi, with a shared down pipe all new within the last few years, both front and rear. I cleaned out our gutters earlier this week. This afternoon, we were hit by the thunderstorms...
21
21

Exploding cigarettes.
Seems a chap was injured when the electronic cigarette he was charging exploded. He was on oxygen, and the oxygen pipe or whatever got damaged making things far worse. Seems he may also have been...
87
87

Decking Oil/Stain
Is there really any discernible difference between these? I've two-thirds finished a floating deck (on the river) using Ronseal Oil, but now am struggling to find more where I am. Plenty of the Stain...
3
3

Headboard light - update
Well, it sort of works. I cobbled this together last night from a small IKEA desk light as a "proof of concept". This one is another 20 cm longer than another suggested earlier. My thanks though for...
2
2

Mixing cat5e and cat6 sockets? X-post
Right, I have a new cat5e patch panel. In my bits of temporarily wired cabling through the walls I have a mix of cat5e and cat6 sockets in the wall boxes. At the moment they are either cat5e sockets...
31
31

What makes a good angle grinder for occasional use
Regardless of the specific use to which an angle grinder would be put are there any general characteristics you would recommend that would be worth having? I know that that is rather vague but an...
16
16

Proposed diesel car penalties - E-Petition
There is an E-Petition against the proposed new diesel car penalties. If anyone feels inclined to sign it, it can be found at... The link is:- http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/68377
70
70

source for aluminium sections/parts to build a verandah
Seen these "installed" for vast sums. Appears to be just toughened single glazing and standard ali sections powder coated & bolted together? Anyone done one? Or any pointers to the sources of suitable...
1
1

Flue Longevity Update - Worcester Bosch Success Story
Hi all Regular users might just remember a moan from me 16-06-2014 regarding a disintegrating boiler flue. Essentially, the exposed inner 80mm core pipe of my Greenstar condensing boiler flue terminal...
1
1