Subject Author Posted Replies

Heat lost through windows
I've often seen "official" statements that 30% of heat may be lost from houses through windows, but I've never seen any evidence that this is so. I'm wondering if it is possible to get a firm estimate...
7
7

Audio spirit level?
There used to be an audio spirit level made, but it seems to have been discontinued, anyone seen anything like that about recently? I think the idea is that there are two tones which toggle as you...
15
15

lidl infra red thermometer
Is this lidl infra red thermometer any good?
34
34

Stone sink top
How would you cut a marble or granite work-top to take a sink? I can guess as far as marking it out conventionally and imagine with 1/2" over-hang, I won't need to worry too much about a polished...
9
9

|Flow switches - servicable?
The flow switch in our boiler (Biasi Riva) is misbehaving. I think it has a magnet in it. Are these things generally servicable? Or is replacement the only option?

Bleeding radiators
... yes, I do know I shouldn't have to do it often, and yes, I know it's probably a sign of a problem. But the whole system is up for a rework next summer, so in the meantime... (and I discovered this...
8
8

Disappearing needles.
The instrument needles on my old Rover disappear at night. They are white during the day and show up ok - but at night with the green lighting all but vanish. I presume they have some form of luminous...
97
97

gutter
My son's house has a 2m length of guttering over the back door that discharges straight into a hopper. Trouble is, it doesn't do that but the water trickles back on the underside of the guttering and...
15
15

Petrol Pumps
Why do other countries have petrol pumps that can be set to deliver a certain amount - Litres or Euros? Even the attended pumps.
55
55

Tumble driers Gas or Heat pump?
Looks like the next "addition" to chateaux D-I-Y is a washing machine and a tumble drier... I normally do the washing at work but a new rental "lodge" means we need something more convenient to...
1
1

Noisy radiator
A bathroom radiator has recently developed a vibrating noise,which seems to have developed since it was removed and then replaced. The noise at first sounds like a hammer drill into brickwork, and...
33
33

Re: Don't Smoking and Discarded Cigarette Butts
Its some idiot who keeps posting adverts for Ash trays. I think he needs to find a new product line if he is on the level, not to mention a marketing expert of course. I suggest he turns his hand to...

21st century problem
How do you adjust the speed on your turntable now that lights no longer flicker at 50Hz? -- Richard
62
62

stove problems
My mother has a couple of solid fuel stoves in her house. One is only used infrequently. How important is it to fit a weather guard of some kind to th e pot? The other is lit most days over the...
10
10

Trailer suspension make?
Hi all, Thinking out loud / long shot again but ... many of you guys have 'been round' I was wondering if anyone has seen this (trailer, in this case) suspension setup before? The guy up at the...
6
6