Subject Author Posted Replies

central heating corrosion guard - is this a used unit (pics)
I just had a salamander corrosion guard for use in a central heating system delivered. It seems to be a used unit to me. I queried it and was told they "are all like that". Is that correct? The...
8
8

Boiler replace/repair
We have a combination boiler. It's only 7 years old, but lately it has been losing pressure through the over-pressure valve. That should have been a cheap, quick fix, but it turns out that it's not...
16
16

OT Gardening Chris Hogg
Google is not my friend here and the gardening group don't seem to like me. I've transplanted my Allium bulbs into better containers. Do I leave them outside over the winter, or do I store them in the...
6
6

Preserving wooden ladder
I've an old wooden ladder that has been exposed a bit to the elements but is otherwise in good condition. It looks as though it has been painted white in the distant past. What would be the best way...
6
6

Grand Designs free tickets NEC Birmingham.
I have just received an email offering me free tickets. Since they are not specific to me, anyone here interested? mark How to claim your free tickets Crown Tiles will be exhibiting at this year's...
3
3

BFM (Big Fat Moron)
Yes, me... Just took delivery of 6 sheets of ply and 2 bits of 900x1800 12.5mm plasterboard. Packed the ply away in the shed. Was now slightly tired. Went to the house and opened the back door to take...
20
20

Attic - white powder deposits?
Not sure how visible it is on these pics, but I was in the loft a couple of days ago after SWMBO was up there and encountered a couple of wasps. When she disappeared, and hence silence ensued, I...
7
7

Post codes
Just curious but when post codes were first introduced houses in the country side were given a number and road name signs were generally erected. So how do they number new houses built in between...
101
101

Procurement
On the telly Angus Maud is boasting of how he has sorted out government procurement issues. On my PC I have adverts for a particular wireless freezer alarm. The price in the USA is $26. In the UK two...
39
39

Unsplit pipe insulation
It came up here a while back that unsplit or semi-split pipe insulation is no longer easy to find. Aldi have some for 15 and 22mm pipe at the moment - 5 x 1m per pack, 13mm wall thickness (so not very...
1
1

Homobase
Not my favourite store. Had to use them to buy 2 x 6" pendant sets t'other day. £3:79 each!! Also had two jobs where customer has bought Homobase own label 'one coat' emulsion. If it hadn't said so...
118
118

OT: Ebola
On the faint offchance Ebola is not contained, this is something people ought to read. Almost four decades ago, Peter Piot was part of the team that discovered the Ebola virus. In a SPIEGEL interview,...
106
106

Stanley impact driver
Was offered one today for £35. Lion 10.8v. But I assume its broken, the l ed lights but no attempt at rotation. B-gger. Just thought I'd check in cas e I'm missing anything, I can still get it. Yes I...

Prehistoric solvent weld pipe?
I have in the process of removing my mum's old bath to install a shower run into an interesting and as yet unresolved conundrum with the waste pipes. They are grey and approximately the dimensions of...
7
7

e.on's heavily pushed new fixed tariff
Has anyone found the real details on E.ons "Fixed 1 yr v9" tariff that they are heavily pushing. Particularly any bits relating to the standing charge reduction for paying by fixed monthly DD and the...
67
67