Subject Author Posted Replies

Garage Door motor
I have an Everest garage door at home. It has stopped responding to the remote control or the wired switch. Most likely the motor is fine, and it is just the board with the electronics that has...
12
12

Dual element Immersion heater
A friend of mine has an elderly hot water storage tank that is heated primarily by Economy 7 electricity. The tank has a single immersion heater aperture into which fits a vertically mounted dual...
12
12

OT ish; Chromebook
Do any of the many clever people here have a view on the Chromebook? I understand it uses a different operating system? e.g. not Microsoft? In plain English please :-)
77
77

Advice on smoke alarms please
I need to get some smoke alarms and would much prefer mains-driven ones than battery ones. Can anyone recommend a successful type, please? TIA Hugh
6
6

Strange smell from Ikea drawer unit
Bought and put together one of these a few days ago: It is made of the usual Ikea laminated sheets. A day later I noticed quite a strong smell in the room - something I would describe as a mixture of...
9
9

Polyester Resin Wall Plug
I need to use polyester resin filler for some holes I am making to support a louvre blind. Is it OK to use normal wood screws in such? Do you wait for the resin to go fully off or screw in whilst...
14
14

OT - tax disc holder
My last road fund licence disc expired on 30th September, so there was no point in my keeping the tax disc holder in the windscreen after that. However, although they are no longer required, I see...
166
166

C H Boiler Dead
Hi Received a call from my student daughter saying electricity tripped (think the kettle was the problem). After switching on at fusebox noticed combi boiler display blank (3yr old vokera linear HE)...
9
9

[SOLVED] Bosch tumble drier fault: EMPTY CONTAINER indicated wrongly (2023 Update)
Hi We have a Bosch condenser tumbler drier (Exxcel WTL6307GB), which is nearly 10 years old. When it has run for a while the EMPTY CONTAINER lamp lights up and the beeper sounds, but the water...
35
35

Loft insulating boards
I'm looking for insulation boards to put on the joists in my loft, over mineral wool between the joists. Years ago I bought a few Space Board ECO boards. made I believe by Knauf insulation. But I...
12
12

yet more dimwitted antics
I discovered that a plastic milk bottle had a pinhole. It didn't leak unless you squeezed it quite hard. I held it quite close to my wife's face and said, "Hey, look at the label on this milk bottle!"...
4
4

More dimwitted antics
I had just a little bit of body filling to do, so I had a look in the box marked 'Fillers, car body'. There were four items. One said '£1/10', and the contents were rock solid. The second said...
3
3

What are these ?
Seen on a building in progress in Dusseldorf. What are these two components seen at the bottom of the image ? What are they for ?
10
10

Muppets!
Do product designers have part of their brains removed during training? Saw this in Wickes today; The answer to a maidens prayer; fixings in one side, drill driver & bits in the other. Except. Makita...
4
4

OT.Engine fitted to Bloodhound
27