Subject Author Posted Replies

Wood for Breakfast Bar
I'm looking to making a shelf/breakfast bar in the kitchen: 72" by 21" - it will not be supporting any great weight - and in fact will not really be used as a breakfast bar: more of a surface for...
7
7

Noisy TRV (was Noisy Radiator)
As this is a slightly different topic, I thought I'd start a new thread. After me thinking that the radiator was noisy, but subsequently found that by turning the trv slightly, the noise or vibration...
7
7

Trainlink - getting hold of the tickets?
OK, simple question if you have done it before... If you book and pay for tickets online, via trainlink, how do you get hold of the tickets please? Can they just be collected at a local station by...
42
42

tp-link router died
Dont't buy a tp-link ADSL wireless router ! Mine only lasted just over a ye ar. It was working but I could not access its http console (visitor wanted the pass phrase), so I restarted it (power...
22
22

Sound proofing?
Does anyone know anything about stopping sound going through walls? I was considering this: Or would it be better to just add another layer of brick (with a gap)? It's the low frequencies I want to...
24
24

Shed against damp retaining wall
My daughter's house is built into rising ground and has a 5ft (1.5m) wide p assageway at the back of the house to a brick wall retaining the garden - t his wall is near enough 4ft high (1.2m). This...
7
7

Heat lost through windows
I've often seen "official" statements that 30% of heat may be lost from houses through windows, but I've never seen any evidence that this is so. I'm wondering if it is possible to get a firm estimate...
7
7

Audio spirit level?
There used to be an audio spirit level made, but it seems to have been discontinued, anyone seen anything like that about recently? I think the idea is that there are two tones which toggle as you...
15
15

lidl infra red thermometer
Is this lidl infra red thermometer any good?
34
34

Stone sink top
How would you cut a marble or granite work-top to take a sink? I can guess as far as marking it out conventionally and imagine with 1/2" over-hang, I won't need to worry too much about a polished...
9
9

|Flow switches - servicable?
The flow switch in our boiler (Biasi Riva) is misbehaving. I think it has a magnet in it. Are these things generally servicable? Or is replacement the only option?

Bleeding radiators
... yes, I do know I shouldn't have to do it often, and yes, I know it's probably a sign of a problem. But the whole system is up for a rework next summer, so in the meantime... (and I discovered this...
8
8

Disappearing needles.
The instrument needles on my old Rover disappear at night. They are white during the day and show up ok - but at night with the green lighting all but vanish. I presume they have some form of luminous...
97
97

gutter
My son's house has a 2m length of guttering over the back door that discharges straight into a hopper. Trouble is, it doesn't do that but the water trickles back on the underside of the guttering and...
15
15

Petrol Pumps
Why do other countries have petrol pumps that can be set to deliver a certain amount - Litres or Euros? Even the attended pumps.
55
55