Subject Author Posted Replies

Aldi electric chainsaw
Aldi were selling the Oregon 16" electric chainsaw at half price (£28) last week so after a couple of days use felling/slicing several medium-size trees at my daughter's I reckon it's already paid...
25
25

~Very~ satisfying using the post shovel!
First time I've used one and it couldn't be easier. I had a 2ft deep hole in 20 minutes, with little effort. However, no stones at all. Now all I need to know is whether it's going to be freezing...
21
21

Popping a cap on a chimney
Need a couple of unused chimneys capping. First quote: scaffolding £600 parts and labour £250 Looks like they may not want the job. They did suggest looking for someone with a cherry picker. First...
18
18

8 watt tubes
These little bipin slide in lamps seem to be going up in price or being hard to get hold of. I'd have thought that we would be encouraged to use such low voltage devices,. I may be forced to change...
23
23

Wiki: roofing materials
Some quotes & comments for feedback on a new wiki article... I think it nee ds some work. What do you reckon? NT Roofing materials ===Clay Tile=== Clay is what has been used for many years to create...
8
8

Induction hobs
We're in the process of getting one as the existing hob is packing up bit by bit. SWMBO has a basic question - with an induction hob, how much does it matter if the pan is larger/smaller than the ring...
41
41

Loft rads not getting hot
I had my loft convertoed just over a year ago and have 2 heat sources up th ere. A towel rail in the bathroom and a 2m x 30cm rad under the large windo w. I'm in a 1930 large semi and have a Ecotec...
11
11

glue to fix broken fan bracket
I have a TD-350 inline fan with a broken fixing bracket / reducer. It is hard plastic that is under some slight bending force when fixed. Superglue was previously tried but the contact area is poor...
4
4

CPC deliveries
Over last couple of months, I've seen a notable change in the delivery times for CPC orders. Used to be that ordering up to around 5-6pm, the order was about 95% likely to turn up next working day,...
17
17

Turning off water - boiler implication
Going on holiday in December. Will leave heating in holiday mode with a low setting of 15 degrees. To avoid any water leakage issues - not frost realated - such as washing machine hose bursting or a...
4
4

Sanity check - single core unsheathed in conduit, ref methods...
Just a quick sanity check - would be grateful if anyone is able to concur as the result is borderline... Ignoring voltdrop considerations and looking only at cable sizing for current - I have been...
1
1

OT Nuclear power providing 6x more electricity than wind.
Thought I would just throw that out there considering it's getting colder now and there are still many nuke sites down for various reasons... No surprise though. Philip
16
16

Odd Boiler Problem
This is a Baxi Megaflow boiler running a pressurised hot water system. This morning, when I turned the heating on, the timer/programmer started switching off and then back on every few seconds. Even...
7
7

OT Anybody remember these?
Shoe-fitting fluoroscope - Wikipedia
34
34

type of lume on e.g. Westclox Big Ben clocks?
Does anyone know what kind of lume Westclox used on their alarm clocks, e.g. the Big Ben and Baby Ben? Radium? Harry
13
13