Subject Author Posted Replies

tone probe sets
Hello, I was looking at the Tenma brand (is it cpc's own brand?) tone and probe sets. I'm not a telecoms nor IT professional, so it would just be for very occasional DIY use.. I see they sell: which...
4
4

Chair Mat
I'm looking to buy a chair mat/carpet protector for my newly refurbished study. Apparently Ikea ones are rubbish and are very good. Any other recommendations?
7
7

Re: The main shortcoming of uk.tech.digital-tv
Uh-huh. Yes, Bill. That's the reason. Definitely.
1
1

A very simple idea
In 2007 I bought a vice by mistake. I put it under a bench and forgot about it. It was too much trouble to send it back. This summer I was busy repairing the body of my motorhome, and this involved...
14
14

OT: scientific orthodoxy
There was a repeat of an old James Burke programme the other night, in which he explained how science, since it is done by humans who live in human society, operates as much by cliques and consensus...
109
109

OTish: considerations for new TV for elderly mother
Hi a bit OT I confess, but I know quite a few here have elderly parents... I'm thinking of buying my 80-year old mother a 'slimline' (as she calls them ;-) LCD TV to replace her old CRT one. The...
32
32

Recommendations for middling cordless drill?
I have a couple of corded drills which work fine. A while ago (distress purchase) I bought a very cheap (£12 I think) cordless drill for a one off job. I find I've been using it for quite a few odd...
14
14

Cctv over internet - anyone set up a H264 dvr with plusnet technicolour 852n router
Hi. I have a home cctv system and want to connect it to the internet so I c an look at the dvr output and control playback etc. I have connected the dvr to one of the sockets on the router and have...
4
4

Central Heating Manifold - Jet Washer
I had a couple of sluggish radiators. When I was having some building work done I got the plumber to re-pipe one of them whilst the plaster was off the wall. I was out when he did it - he told me that...
6
6

Plumbing: will this work?
Hi all, Is it kosher to insert the finned end of this pan connector: into the spigot end of one of these: And expect a good seal. And if it is, should one leave the 'o' ring of the latter in place, or...
5
5

Ring circuit and spur/radial from same MCB ?
I've been looking at a relative's 1960s house, and it looks like various people have done electrical work over the years. I've a couple of questions: 1) It looks like there is both a ring circuit...
18
18

Hudl2 thumbs up
A while ago there was a topic about Ipads/tablets, just set up a Hudl2 for someone (not that it needed much setting up) and am thoroughly impressed with it for the price. Really nice screen and it...
6
6

Website design software
This is perhaps stretching the definition of DIY rather a bit, but can anyone recommend an offline (ie not including hosting) drag-and-drop type website designer program? Thanks.
52
52

Price for dropping a kerb (in Kent)
I'm asking this on behalf of my son, who lives in north Kent (I myself live a long way away from there). What's a reasonable price for "dropping" a kerb? My son and his wife need to have theirs...
19
19

Balanced flue through slates, leaking
This is a job I wish I had done 2 yrs ago but I don't really know what the problem is so I am stuck A single story lean to with slates at about 30deg pitch. The 'balanced' flue from the boiler goes...
2
2