Subject Author Posted Replies

OTish: TV power consumption
Bought myself a power monitoring smart plug the other day to try and find out if there’re any power hungry devices left in our house worth trimming/replacing and was a bit surprised to find that our...
22
22

no heating
why are they complaining about no heating and the effect on children ...we all grew up in the 50's and 60's with nothing but a coal fire in the living room....poor babies
24
24

Cut logs
looking at some logs today and was wondering why the cut ends all have the same star shape markings on them ?
5
5

Vent Pipe Question
Does the vent pipe have to be above the level of the header tank

Outdoor kitchen and patio leveling
Hi All, I am laying a patio and on it I will have an outdoor kitchen (approx 3m long). If I lay the patio with a 1:80 slope then one end of the kitchen will be 38mm higher than the other. So the...
11
11

French doors locked - how to open without damage?
Son has a new flat with a pair of wooden external french doors locked with a 5 lever mortice lock. There is no key and the doors will not open even when top/bottom latches are open; without, I...
51
51

power - why greens complain about forced power consumption reduction?
why are the greens not happy we are being forced to cut down on our power consumption?....
12
12

Freezer on economy 7 overnight rate - possible/sensible?
We have a couple of freezers, one small under-counter one and a larger tall one. I'm wondering if it would be possible/sensible/practical to run them on a timer which limits them to running overnight...
31
31

Logs..... | How can I cut the cost of kiln dried firewood down
Is it me or have logs got expensive? I bought 6 bulk bags last year and we didn't even pay 300 quid all in... This year its £135 a bag so buying the same quantity this year is £800! got any...
23
23

Recommendations for oscillating multi-tool
As the title really. As I'm getting older and more knackered I'm doing less and less DIY but still keeping my hand in, especially as we'll be moving to a new house soonish. I need (well, ok then, I...
24
24

OT Python help?
Having seen the question about avahi, and all the knowledgeable replies, would it be reasonable to ask about something bothering me with Python?
27
27

Smoke Detectors/Fire Alarms - linked pair of FireAnglel WST630
Gentlemen, I currently have a linked pair of FireAnglel WST630 which seem to become unlinked from time to time and then bleep away untill reset. Any suggestions for replacements? Dave
5
5

Guttering Question
Hi. This is something I know zero about so I hope someone can help. There was some stormy weather a while back and a downpipe that was clipped to the wall was torn off. It seems to be 110mm diameter...
7
7

avahi-daemon - where?
Where will I find the avahi-daemon in Linux Mint? More generally, is there a way in Linux to do a disk-wide search for something? Under Linux, my app crashes as soon as I try to print to a network...
18
18

OT: UTI Precipitated Psychosis
Gentlemen, The best place to get health advice is of course, uk.d-i-y, so here goes... We all know that wimmin have a 'design defect' that makes them more prone to UTIs than men (assuming they don't...
6
6