Subject Author Posted Replies

Consumer unit regulations change
A heads-up that Amendment 3 to the wiring regs (due in January) will require home consumer units to be made of a non-combustable material (i.e. metal), or to be enclosed in a non-combustable...
124
124

storing paint in plastic garden container
Is it ok to store emulsion paint outdoors - in one of those plastic garden containers? If the paint freezes, is it useless afterwards? I guess oil based paints will be ok (?). I'm trying to free-up...
5
5

Bib and brace
Hello all, I want to buy someone some 'bib and brace' style overalls for Christmas. I was hoping to get a pair to be worn as over-trousers. Having looked at a fe w websites I am confused about sizing....
2
2

Well done that man
Liverpool's first "£1 home" has been fully refurbished by its new owners in time for Christmas.
6
6

OT Death Ray?
Sounds a bit fishy to me. The footage shows a test aircraft being taken out by the weapon
20
20

Any use for old gas cylinders?
A chum has recently taken over some premises. Tucked away in a corner are several empty gas cylinders. No markings or id on cylinders. Some oxy and some acetylene. He wants rid of them. Has been onto...
5
5

OT: R1155 and R208 radio receivers
I know this is probably not the correct NG, but I don't know where else to ask. I found but that seems to be mainly USA. An acquaintance* who was once an RAF radio mechanic on Lancasters died...
26
26

Converting from FAT32 to NTFS
This is a continuation of the dropped external USB hard drive (which has been opened but not repaired) and my efforts to carry out regular backups. Briefly, little Tosh netbook with hard drive running...
3
3

Storing Steel Drums
Actually, they are a set of steel pans which, as you know, are made from steel oil drums. We have suddenly and unexpectedly had to take into storage a full set of steel pans and the only place big...
10
10

Adjusting a double-glazed PVC door
We have one of these as our back door. The outer (handle) edge has dropped very slightly, so that the bottom of the door now catches along the sill as it is closed, at the end below the handle....
7
7

Gerberit back-to-wall wc cistern leak
We have one of these very neat Gerberit wc cisterns which you can only get to by taking off the small front panel with the flush push buttons. We have already successfully changed the input overflow...
1
1

How much cost to run ,, an air filter ..?
Ok amma numpty ,, I have a plug in,, mains power monitor from maplins .. I bought it ages ago and have lost the paper and forgotten,, anything i knew about it.. I pressed a button and it told me 0.07...
5
5

Roofing felt repair
History: a larger shed with some rotting wood I cut down to an 8x5 shed, I used the old roofing felt knowing it would not last more than a couple of years, 3 years later it has sprung a leak! No...
9
9

burglar alarm, again!
How likely am I to succeed in replacing a failed strobe? Call out engineer left the original circuit board on site. With the battery charged up (I used 12V DC at the board input terminals) it appears...
6
6

Swarf in Diesel Tank
Just put my 2 year old, 60,000 mile VW Caddy Bluemotion in for a service at Main Dealer as per the Leasing company requirements. Garage says there is Swarf or "glittering" in fuel tank and they have...
51
51