Subject Author Posted Replies

DIY FAQ - new search capability
I have replaced the search facility on the FAQ with one that works (the original atomoz one was borked, and not much cop in the first place). The new one is google based, works better and faster, and...

Way to manoeuvre wheelchair in tight space
We have a friend who occasionally visits. She uses a powered wheelchair - she is light but the chair isn't! We have access to most of the house sorted out - wide gate at back, portable ramps, etc....
48
48

Best wood to use indoors, health wise
When I mean health wise, I mean I'm looking for a piece of wood that doesn' t give off anything toxic, or it's dusty (respiratory problems), or anythin g bad like that. Basically, I'm after a piece of...
17
17

OT - I'm not selling anything
Yet here you are at my front door in a Zenith Windows sweat shirt telling me that there are some installations taking place in the area. When told you are wasting your time you won't leave. So, why,...
11
11

Brickies in London
Seems there's a shortage of brickies in London, so according to tonight's BBC1 local London news 'they're' bringing them in from Portugal and paying 1000 quid a week. Of course being TV news, a story...
65
65

OT though related to engineering.... insuring cars for less than a year
Anyone insured a winter 4x4 just for winter? Which insurer? I got a quote online for Admiral's multi car policy for my usual car for 12 months plus an old 4x4 for 3 months.... Doubled the cost of my...
12
12

Metal detector tips
OK so some here might have used one. Circumstances change so we now have the gf's young lad with us on our Christmas break. He has managed to borrow this from his Grandad. No manual or helpful input...
16
16

Ping Andrew Gabriel re Potterton boiler
Not heard anything from you as yet so has my e-mail ended up in your spam trap?

This morning's M25 crash, and concrete barrier safety.
Viewing footage of the crash site on the BBC news website, it seems that the concrete barriers (Jersey Barriers?) didn't provide much, if any, resistance to the vehicles crossing the central...
28
28

Cleaning sand for use in concrete.
Simple question - anyone know how they do it? I am sure that sand can't be simply dredged off the beach and use, it would be covered in salt, no? That wouldn't bode well for use in reinforced concrete...
13
13

Chipboard grades and where to buy square-edge flooring grade for delivery
I do have a question, below, about where to buy board suitable for flooring but before I get to that I thought some folks might be interested in info I found out about grades of chipboard. (Strictly,...
5
5

Most efficient use of Celotex?
Planning the cuts to install Celotex between joists. As usual, the spacing doesn't really get the best use out of a 2400 * 1200 sheet. So I'm trying to calculate how to minimise wastage and how many...
28
28

OT Trees
amazing trees | Dusky's Wonders
11
11

OT Soldiers kit, past 1000 years.
13 Complete Soldier's Kits From The Armies Of 1066 Until 2014. Wow.

Pain in the Butt Microsoft
Had a series of power off failures and failure to boot on one of my Win 7 PCs - and in an elimination exercise exchanged hard drives with another less important one. Both legitimate licenced copies....
89
89