Subject Author Posted Replies

Trunking to go at the corner of a room
I would like to run some speaker cable up the corner of the room. Ideally I would like triangular section or "quarter circle" (that is a quarter slice of a round cake) profile. My Google skills don't...
8
8

Flourescent and static
Does a low voltage fluorescent - specifically the small type you might find in a caravan run from 12v where both end pins are paralleled - generate static electricity?
7
7

Oral B Electric Toothbrush
Anyone found a way of making the heads a bit of a tighter fit? The "fake" heads are so loose that they sometimes detatch mid-cleaning. The original ones seem to wobble more than they should as well.
6
6

Eco shower heads
Has anyone any experience of these? Any recommendations? Do they do what it says on the tin or are they just a waste of money? Keith
15
15

£6594 job application with no long term prospects.
Reeds are advertising this all over the country: Any idea what is going on? £6.6 thousand will take at least 2 years to pay back. )ffered pay is £8 /hr to start (28 to 35K when qualified) which may...
26
26

SSD drive in IDE laptop?
Has anyone installed an SSD drive in an IDE laptop, using a SATA to IDE adaptor? Is this feasible? (I have a Thinkpad T43 which still works well, and a cheap 128GB SSD drive, and I was wondering if I...
2
2

Anyone know what this tool is used for?
The only clues are the guy it came from was an Electrician and Millwright with a multitude of other tickets as well as an entrepreneur.
20
20

Tree Stump Killers
Gentlemen, Has anyone used one of those chemical (or biological) tree stump dissolving preparations to remove a stubborn, semi-rotten, broken-off fence post stump and if so, how long did it take to...
9
9

Wall-mounted toilet frames.
I have been looking at toilet frames. They all seem to bear weight on the floor. This is just what I don't want to do, for several reasons. Does any one know of one designed to take its weight (and...
20
20

B&Q bathroom equipment
I've resolved to "do up" our two bathrooms in 2015. This will not entail "creating a whole new look" - I'll redecorate, possibly re-tile, and I'll replace the rather ancient basins that we have. As a...
15
15

Washing machine with workshop manual.
I think I am going to be forced to buy a new washing machine. Are there any where you can download the equivalent of the workshop manual so I can work out why it may not be working properly? What I...
13
13

Continental Sockets
Staying in a hotel recently - pulling a plug out was in danger of pulling the socket out of the wall. Are they all poor in this respect or are our adaptors perhaps a bit tight?
13
13

Practical Electrical Wiring and Contracting
Everything from "How Electricity Works" to "Repair Work" and "Wiring Industrial Apparatus" - Mr LC Greenwood's splendid 384 page book covers the lot. Some of it may not be completely up to date - it...
6
6

Temperature/pressure relief valves - how do they work?
Our boat calorifier (silly boat name for a hot water cylinder) has a temperature and pressure relief valve. I can understand the pressure relief valve, it's simply a spring loaded thing that opens...
5
5

Slow leak in CH/DHW system
Vaillant Thermocompact VU GB 226E condensing boiler 15 years old, propane; sealed S-plan CH and DHW system (i.e. no header tank). Single story bungalow, CH pipes in the roof space with droppers down...
13
13