Subject Author Posted Replies

Cordless outdoor kit
I have a bit of old field hedge I am going to 'lay'. It's too much for an old man to do with a bow saw and bill hook so am looking at a cordless chainsaw. Browsing what is available is increasing my...
5
5

12v LED spotlights
I thought I would order some 12v 3w LED MR11 bulbs to replace the halogen 20w bulbs in my bathroom but the website I want to buy from is warning me that the existing transformer may not cope with the...
19
19

Petrol Strimmer blade
A friend has lent me a petrol strimmer (a Landxcape SGT34X.1) that I intend to use to clear an area 20m x 10m of nettles, brambles and various other weeds - over 3 years growth. I'm told it'll need a...
15
15

OT: "BBC Proms"
It's the Proms, Jim, but not as we know it: "In her 80th-anniversary year – and 50 years since the release of her album Young, Gifted and Black – the Proms pays tribute to the ‘Queen of Soul’,...
12
12

OT: greens destroy a species.
"Endangered water voles are ready to recolonise the streams and rivers of the New Forest 24 years after animal activists inadvertently wiped them out by releasing 7,000 mink from a fur farm. In 1998...
4
4

Terracotta heaters?
What is the panel's opinion on home-made terracotta heaters? Has anybody ever tried building one? I am thinking about the ones built with two opposite terracotta vases and candles in the middle.
7
7

Quick reminder that, in case of leccy/broadband/phone total blackout...
... crystal radios work without battery or mains. (And I'm not talking of crank/wind up radios). I haven't used a crystal radio for probably 35 years and I am not sure what you'd pick up nowadays...
17
17

HRC fuse
The incoming tails from Meter cab go to a Switch Fuse (MEM 100ESSCF) This is fitted as standard with 100A HRC fuse. I am not sure what physical type of fuse this is ..... but can it be changed to 80A...
24
24

DSL -- Digital Subscriber Line
Digital subscriber line (DSL; originally digital subscriber loop) is a family of technologies that are used to transmit digital data over telephone lines. In telecommunications marketing, the term DSL...

OT Praising an apprentice
He has just finished his second year - I have not worked with him for months (maybe 10 months) but I worked with him today. He far outclassed the apprentice that I have been working with for the last...
14
14

Lack of roof ventilation
I've been spending some time insulating the loft of late, and it gets rather hot and muggy in there. I discovered why: there is no ventilation. No air bricks, no soffit vents, no tile vents, nothing....
2
2

Electricity generated by a wind turbine
On a news item on my local news about the new offshore wind-farm off the coast of Humberside, the spokesman Patrick Harnett of Orested said that one turn of a turbine's blades (which takes 6 seconds)...
238
238

Removing/sawing vicious stumps.
Not a gardening question. I am not a gardener. I just want to get rid of overgrown vicious weed stumps that previous antisocial tenants let grow for years without giving a toss. I cut all green parts...
16
16

Blocking light from coming through a ceiling window
Daughter moved to a new student flat. Her room is in an attic conversion. It only has one window, a skylight-type on the slopped ceiling (sound 30 degrees from horizontal). It is in a recess around...
10
10

OTish - anyone experience with IQ Medical air cushion matress ?
SWMBO managed to get a pressure ulcer a few weeks ago. After nearly 4 weeks in hospital, it's stabilized enough that they are talking of continuing treatment at home. Although she's seen a few OTs in...
4
4