Subject Author Posted Replies

Turntable recommendations, please
I need a new turntable 33/45. No speakers, but a simple stereo preamp to plug into a Cambridge system. Price not necessarily a problem. What do people suggest? Hugh
40
40

DECT phone recommendations please
The parents need new phones for the house. They need a base/ans phone + 2 additional handsets. They currently have a Binatone Concept (2300, I think) - and it's rubbish - drop-outs, including on the...
11
11

MILLENNIUM FALCON
This is sold in parts with a magazine, Anyone notice the ad on the TV for t he above the first issue is £2.99 I think, then it's £8.99 and lasts fo r 100 issues . assuming you need all 100 issues...
6
6

OT - Which is Safer, Internet or Phone
Came to renew the car tax last week and the credit card is near limit. Don't like using debit card on-line due to (perceived) lack of protection against fraud etc. So decided to use debit card and...
18
18

Britain unprepared for severe blackouts
Exclusive: Increased death rates, rising public disorder and high-risk criminals on the loose among the likely consequences of prolonged power cuts, official assessment shows
40
40

Aldidl LED wand lights
Win/win? Previous queries about a 12V fluorescent and a dead LED inspection light may have melded in some weird way. If I take the LED inspection light thingie apart, the LED cluster looks about the...
1
1

Mantle shelf over a recessed fireplace - how high?
Hi, OK - been through Part J building regs and I cannot find the answer. How high above a fireplace opening should a combustible (wooden) mantle-shelf be? The opening contains a coal burning stove,...
11
11

Columbia outdoes London firework display
The dramatic moment a fireworks factory exploded in Colombia has been captured on camera. The dramatic moment a fireworks factory exploded in Colombia has been captured on camera.
5
5

Best way to hang pictures?
What do people find is the neatest way to hang pictures on a plaster or masonry wall? I usually use the picture hooks (available in all cheap stores) with a steel (or strengthened) nail which has to...
19
19

Boro Power {Was: Re: TOT - "Community solar farm"?}
"The 1.5MW turbine will provide all the electricity required for the stadium for the next 20 years, replacing power that would otherwise be drawn from the National Grid." *ALL* the electricity...
11
11

LED "DD"s?
I have fluorescent DDs in my kitchen which are on a lot of the time and consequently need replacing every 2 or 3 years. I see that CPC have LED replacements for DDs, both 2 and 4 pin; any experience...
36
36

Boiler pilot light goes out when it's cold outside
Hi all, Got a bit of a weird problem with our boiler. It's a Glow-Worm Economy Plus EP40B (non-combi) with a pilot that should be on all the time. If the external temperature is above about 0, it's...
18
18

Arrone thumb turn: removing?
I'd like to remove what looks like an Arrone (it's what's stamped on it) thumb turn from the bathroom door It looks something similar to: I can't see how to remove it. There appears to be a tiny...
7
7

TOT - "Community solar farm"?
I'm currently fighting a 20 acre solar farm on green belt land which is also a Special Landscape Area. The solar farm company is talking about an "exciting new model we are pursuing for community...
73
73

Who uses pop rivets professionally?
I need one 6.4mm pop rivet fitted to something and whilst buying all the kit is tempting, I don't see me riveting many things in my remaining lifetime so if I would prefer to find someone to do it for...
35
35