Subject Author Posted Replies

Costs to renovate an old house
My daughter is looking to buy a Victorian ground floor flat that's not been upgraded for years. Re-wireable fuses, lath and plaster, poor insulation etc etc.. It would seem sensible to budget for...
29
29

Raised slabbing - any experiences ?
Following the idea of raising my patio with decking, I stumbled across the possibility of using slabs set on adjustable supports ... support-pads/ has anyone tried this ?
16
16

Anyone mended an Insinkerator Boiling Water Tap?
Insinkerator 'under sink' boiling tank and tap above that provides filtered cold, and boiling hot water for tea making etc. JUST out of warranty the tap part has started to let by. Cold mains enters...
5
5

B&Q prepares for tape and ties demand
Staff told to read book in preparation and to deal with queries in a 'sensitive' manner
32
32

expanding foam gun tip
When you go to use an expanding foam gun that hadn't been used for a while and only a disappointing little worm of foam comes out, don't be tempted to take the adjustment knob off and pull the rod...
1
1

New jigsaw
I just tried to use my old B&D KS633£ jigsaw, which I haven't needed to use for years. Needless to say, it was as dead as a doornail. Open circuit (fuse checked ok). Absolutely impossible to remove...
20
20

OT...Warning! Your Samsung tv is listening to you
Samsung is warning customers to avoid discussing personal information in front of their smart television set. The warning applies to TV viewers who control their Samsung Smart TV using its voice...
29
29

Toilet overflow pipe slope (also B&Q PVC cement WTF)
Yesterday I changed the float valve (I think the previous one lasted for 12 years or so) in the toilet & also discovered that the overflow pipe was soaking our "picnic deck" & splashing all over the...
6
6

Endoscope cam woes
As reported last week, the endoscope failed after just 30 minutes use, due to the fact that where the cable entering the USB plug, it had been left un fixed, with no strain relief - simply hanging on...
6
6

C&L Clic
Has anyone experience with B&Q's Cooke & Lewis Clic cabinets? Strong without any plugs?

Light Switch Surrounds
A Content Customer kindly wrote this for my page: After weeks of snagging lists my brand new kitchen had been finished, everyone knows the stress of not having the most important room of the house my...
14
14

Whisky barrel staves for log burner ?
These look a good deal - dry, oak, easy to handle, possibly nice smell, a bit cheaper for a bag. What's the downside ? Rob
14
14

Good online supplier of sealed units?
Anyone used an online supplier of sealed DG units they would care to recommend - preferably one that will do a small order without a daft delivery cost.
18
18

Removing Econ 7 switchgear
Our new gas CH system is up and running and as part of that job I removed all the electric storage heaters. I now need to contant the elec supplier (different from the gas supplier) to change the...
11
11

Plywood flooring
Just idly wondering really, but this occurred to me, so I though it was worth asking. When I do the bathroom, I'll probably replace the rather old floorboards with 18mm ply (they'll all have to come...
18
18