Subject Author Posted Replies

OT: "Locked" mobile (Sony w800i)
Had this since new in 2006. Since being given a work mobile, it's only been used as my PCs SMS portal (via bluetooth). Last worked in November. Been kept charged all the time. Out of curiosity, when...
9
9

OT:Working lifespan of a nuclear bomb ?
Assuming the detonation mechanism was intact and functioning (and I have my doubts) would the fuel have still been viable ? My recollection of various U and Pu isotope half lives is sketchy at best ;)...
77
77

BS 7671 Amendment 3 Consumer Units
I'm aware that all consumer units from 1st July 2015 should have non-combustible enclosures, with an impression this really means either an all steel CU or a combustible one in a further steel...
21
21

Aldi tool :(
Got one of theirpacks of blades etc to use on an oscillating saw. Used the sanding pad & sandpaper triangles today for the first time. After using up just 2 pads the velcro on the holder is in a bad...
7
7

New taps sticking
I had some problems with a hot tap that would turn on at a different point to where it would turn off, by which I mean I would turn it maybe two whol e rotations before it would come on at full blast...
9
9

double insulated metal case 240v downlights in bathroom... earth or not?
double insulated metal case 240v downlights in bathroom... earth or not? Old identical (lamp thread knacked) downlight had an earth lead cable-tied to the (genuine looking) 2 core flex from jctn box...
7
7

boroscope - cheap but useful
Bought one of these. Saves having to buy the £50+ ones as no built-in display needed - and the price only £8. Works ok except 1) resolution is not great 2) The mirror attachment is pointless. Other...
17
17

Thumbs up for Liverpool Victoria
I have a home emergency add-on to my house insurance. Boiler packed up this morning, but engineer came within 2 hours, did a temporary fix, and has ordered a couple of spare parts to be fitted later....
19
19

Central heating pressure loss
I have an ikon-t combi boiler. In the previous two weeks it has needed repr essuring twice. Last week, following the mains being turned off and on whil e I fixed the triton shower, it has needed...
13
13

BBQ Design
Hi All, I am in the middle of designing/ building a brick built BBQ and am struggling to understand the dynamics of chimney design. The overall design looks like this... The red areas are all brick/...
14
14

Rats in the attic. Burglar proof paint
My sister has problems with rats and has tried all sorts of remedies plus several visits from a rat catcher. She has a thatched roof. I wondered whether burglar proof paint round the entrance holes...
7
7

Dawn / dusk PIR with override?
Hi all, Anyone recommend a stand alone, external, dusk to dawn overridable PIR, suitable for switching an LED floodlight (ideally in black) please? It might be handy that it also is easy to mask to...
4
4

Timber for polytunnel raised bed
The farmhouse across the road is having some refurbishment with some outbui lding roof timbers being replaced. I can't at the moment get a close look at these (the owners are away at the moment), but...
9
9

Anyone here using a DeWalt radial arm saw? Problem
Good evening to the assembled company. I have a DW125 saw. Nice tool. Very similar I believe to DW1251 Don't use it often and then mainly for crosscutting. Wanted to to a bit of ripping this w/e and...
8
8

Treated Timber in France
Need to replace a few of the rafters in house in SW France, as they will ev entually be covered up i am happy to use new timber, been to the usual Bric o's etc but cant seem to work out if their...
1
1