Subject Author Posted Replies

3 pin plug (not socket) protector
Apart from these kinds of things Is there anything else that will stop my 3 pin plug from poking through a plastic bag in a nutshell i sometimes carry my phone charger in this bag along with a couple...
28
28

Soggy joist
Furtling under the floor in the bathroom for other reasons, I found water has been running down the side of the bath (from the shower over it) and saturated a confined area of a floorboard, together...
24
24

mains-powered MP3 player
Is there such a thing as a mains-powered MP3 player? What I'm after is a boombox which stores MP3 files in flash memory, transferable along a USB cable. No need for it to play CDs. Would be nice if it...
7
7

Faulty fluorescent lights
I have a number of fluorescent lights under kitchen wall cupboards. Two are flashing at the moment, but one stops and works normally when I remove the small starter (Chinese). Does it harm a...
7
7

Seeking good Henry spares supplier
Everyone here (myself included) seems to bang on about how good the parts availability is for Henry vacuum cleaners - but can anyone recommend a Really Good supplier? I have the Airo attachment brush...
6
6

Outside wiring question
Hi All, As part of the outdoor "kitchen", I have an outside socket which is run fro m the house using armoured cable. The problem is, that the armoured cable is too short :( I can position the current...
5
5

Wood treatment
Hi All, I am building an outdoor "kitchen". I have some tanalised timber left over from some building work so thought I would use that for the frame - there is a granite worktop on top. Although in...
8
8

OT A definition worth remembering.
Somebody sent me this:- A definition worth remembering: There's an annual contest at Bond University, Australia, calling for the most appropriate definition of a contemporary term. This year's chosen...
31
31

Cooling for hi-fi stack?
The hi-fi stack is slowly coming together, built from 15mm ply on drawer runners. Looking as though everything will {just} fit although there isn't a lot of leeway. I plan to cut ventilation holes in...
29
29

Latest paint advice
We fairly recently painted our hall and stairs with a white satin finish, not sure now of the make, but have been disappointed because it's remained slightly sticky to the touch and has to be sorted...
7
7

reshaping layout domestic waste chamber
Hi, I need to remove the white flexi pipe shown in the image to create a longer term solution in getting the bathroom waste into the mains sewer pipe. Building control have told me to amend the...
11
11

wiring help
I have rigged up PIR to flood indoors to check it before installing outdoors. When wired up the PIR `clicks` and also using a non contact voltage detector it appears that live is getting through....
35
35

c.12" lifting platform
On an off chance, does anyone know if it's possible to buy something like a 1m sq. platform which can be raised/lowered (hydraulically or mechanically) about a foot ? In my minds eye I'm thinking of a...
11
11

Loft tank - new query; temporary repair.
This relates to the previous loft tank post, but another option. Apart from the problem of finding a tank that will fit, the easy option man y years ago was to place the CH header tank such that it...
14
14

Puzzled by Y plan
On the wiki the Y plan diagram shows the orange wire to the 3 port valve, w hich is described as having odd voltages on it at times, connected to the p ump & boiler. Surely this isn't right, it must...
5
5