Subject Author Posted Replies

Brick Arch Repair
Hi I have some movement in the brickwork between the top of a ground floor window arch and the bottom of a first floor window. The property was built around 1900 but some work was done about 20 years...
6
6

Gutenburg and Ereader/tablet
I have just bought my first Android E-reader/ tablet and I'm completely amazed by it and what it can do, plus the range of freely available books. I've signed up to my local public library, which...
26
26

Washing vertical blinds.
As it's redecorating time, she believes in washing everything. Today it was the turn of some vertical blinds. I read on a suppliers website that these can be washed in a washing machine, if you are...

OT: Meldrew moment
Working in Kings Hill on Thurs, posh area, fancied a cold drink on the way home, saw a 'little Waitrose'. Can of posh fizzy orange 70p. Two checkouts, one broken, one with an elderly couple who were...
82
82

Kitchens
I need to fit a new kitchen to a property we rent out to tenants. Nothing too fancy, but something that may last. I know, mutually exclusive requirements! It's a straightforward layout - sink/window...
13
13

So who is the oldest 'old hand' here then?
Finding a post on Google Groups from 1998 to link to in another thread, reminded me of the names of posters long gone from uk.d-i-y. I started reading uk.d-i-y in 1997 (when we got dialup at home),...
51
51

Absolutely crap LED G9 bulbs...who makes ones that *last*?
Gosh, I am SO SICK of buying SMD LED G9 bulbs for our living room lights. They are all shit. Half of them fail within a month or two. I bought another batch of 8 from on 1st March and half of them...
13
13

OT Simple basic DAB radio with a decent battery life wanted
I need to find a basic DAB radio for an elderly lady I know who's stuck in a rehab home. It needs to be run on disposable batteries but my experience of DAB radios is that that they eat batteries like...
7
7

Bendable double sided carpet gripper/trim?
I have a small area to carpet - it's a lobby area. For artistic and practical reasons I rather fancy doing it in 2 colours - one dark hard carpet where the entrance door and mat is, switching to a...
10
10

Job here for Adam?
Check out our Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/prairieaerial To use this video in a commercial player, advertising or in broadcasts, please email Viral Spiral: contact@viralspiralgroup.com...
18
18

Replacing Fluorescent Light Fittings
Our kitchen Fluorescent Light Fittings need to be replaced. The present fittings each have two four foot tubes. How do I choose new LED fittings to have a comparable amount of light?
13
13

Tyre wear question
Curious as to possible cause of this problem, NSF tyre is wearing faster than the OSF, but it is completely even wear across the tyre. It does have a somewhat "scrubbed" look compared to the other one...
36
36

Self-levelling compound suggestions
We've got an outbuilding that I'm refurbishing and bringing back into use as a studio for SWMBO's artistic and creative purposes. Originally built in the '70s as a commercial kitchen, the concrete...
18
18

OT Energy consultants and smart meters
Is anyone else getting pestered by "energy consultants" offering to act on one's behalf, have smart meters installed and then negotiating a unit price while it is low now for when renewal is due next...
10
10

Do they really mean that?
Seen in B&Q re. a luminaire: ...opaque lampshades. This was on the dome type, so nowhere for the light to go. Saves buying lamps, I suppose. Also on, er, Ambay-ish: high density MDF. OK.
7
7