Subject Author Posted Replies

OT Overpopulation
Britain in a few years due to immigration? How do you raise awareness about population explosion? One group thought that the simplest way would be to show people
47
47

Spray bottles
I'm looking for a couple of decent trigger-operated spray bottles for weedkiller - a B&Q bottle that I've used for a few years developed a small split just after I'd filled it. I've always used either...
10
10

Putting 5V through a 6V bulb?
Almost certainly a dumb question. I have 6V cycle lights which came with a chunky 4.5Ah lead acid battery. Now I can get a replacement for under £10 (or more - not sure what the difference is...
16
16

"blued" stainless steel pan
My wife, quite unlike her, put a saucepan on the heat with no contents. while is is clean it has spoilt the finish, from brownish to blue, inside and out. Is there any remedy please?
8
8

Paint combination
I have to paint a square foot of wood outdoors, what I have in stock is : Acrylic undercoat and an exterior gloss (doesnt mention acrylic) Is it ok to use these 2 paints together? Or should I have a...
6
6

OT New type of rechargable battery
Doesn't mention cars, but I don't see why not. US scientists hail breakthrough in technology they say could provide safer, more convenient, greener alternative for laptops and mobiles
27
27

Wiring 3-phase machines
I have two lathes, where I need to cable these up. It's only going to be on very rare occasions that both will be used at the same time. I would be happy to make this a rule. They have 3hp motors...
12
12

Mini expansion device for portable water
I've posted before about this - but I have new information. I have not chosen a boiler yet, although Viessmann looks like a good contender. Anyway, there are times in the winter where, if we say take...
21
21

Decent Digital Multimeter for DIY?
Hi - I'm sick of using £5 Chinese DMM's off ebay. They don't seem to last 5 minutes before the test leads break, and I don't trust their accuracy much. Is there a decent DIY level DMM - maybe around...
84
84

the REAL dangers of long term radiation. And solar power.For Harry.
A boom in cheap package holidays in the 1960s is partly behind the "worrying rise" in skin cancers in pensioners, Cancer Research UK suggests.
2
2

"Snap-on" conduit?
I am going to pave part of my front garden. There are a BT cable and a Virgin Cable in the area where I wish to pave - both about 9 inches down. I am wondering if there is such a thing as "snap-on"...
10
10

My slab
Well that was fun. Slab needed for shed. Cement mixer, aggregate, sand, cement. Break in weather! Set everything up. Start cement mixer, put one bucket of aggregate and one of sand. Cement mixer...
19
19

OT but useful
I used AVG, Spybot, Superantispyware and Malwarebytes before I tried it out. It found four infections and I'm careful where I go. It seems to be safe and has good reviews. Thanks for reading. Now,...
19
19

Fractal antennae
Does anyone have any experience of these? The plots I've seen seem to have very variable gain/frequency responses.
23
23

Piano and suspended floor problem
We have an upright piano which, due to its weight is causing a sag in the suspended wooden floor (50's semi). Only 1 joist is really affected as the piano is aligned lengthwise along it. It is the...
15
15