Subject Author Posted Replies

splicing Cat5E patch cable to an RJ45 socket
There's a phone socket on the wall just outside the "networking cupboard" at home (well, built-in wardrobe with the router & modem on a shelf). I'd like to change it to a double --- phone beside RJ45...
13
13

Are serrated knives self-sharpening?
Are serrated kitchen knives self-sharpening? I seem to recall that that was said when they first came out.
13
13

Fitting a picture rail
My daughter want to replace the picture rails in her house. It's an 1890s property with lath and plaster walls and the plaster is in generally good condition. Would gluing be the best option in this...
35
35

[OT] Most modern comedy is crap.
He was a decent banjo player.
80
80

Self drilling screws
I don't know where I got them from, but I appear to have a few wood screws with a small drill bit on the end. Except the drill makes a hole the same width as the screw. How stupid! I always use a...
6
6

OT On TV last night.
Escape to the Wild. (Kev. again) DIY project on "Desert Island" I don't think this island was as deserted as was made out. Lots of machined timber. Concrete/Bricks/Blocks How did it get there? What...
6
6

2 post lift on soil
Has anyone put a 2 post vehicle lift, on bare soil? Thin layer of soil, with clay sub soil. What might be needed in the way of a foundation please? Are the two posts braced against each other below...
4
4

Today I borrowed....
..SWMBO's disability scooter - I had to, I had a large and bleeding blister on my heel from walking too far yesterday. I couldn't walk in shoes and I needed to let the pharmacist take a look at it, as...
3
3

Free or inexpensive software for making plumbing schematics?
Hello, Looking for nice simple software for making plumbing schematics. Nothing fancy or 3D. Just a plumbing equivalent of TinyCAD ( which is fabulous for electrical and electronic circuit diagrams....
6
6

Anti rust spray?
There's an anti rust coating for steel tools I vaguely remember is favoured by woodworkers as it does not contaminate wood. Anyone recall what it is called? I have more tools in the shed now and I...
21
21

Is there U.K. equivalent ?
OK Its an amusing ad but is there an equivalent product available this side of the pond ? American Standard's VorMax™ Flush Technology is the solution to maintaining a cleaner toilet bowl by...
24
24

12mm steel channel
Where can I get steel channel with a channel width of ~12mm to edge and support some 12mm (actually it measures nearer 11mm) plywood? Everything I can find seems to be wider. Depth isn't important,...
5
5

Angle grinder ...
Wonder if the Hatton Gardens mob can lay their hands on one in Belmarsh?
7
7

Cutting concrete stub fence posts
Do stub fence posts have rebar in them? I need some stub posts about 2 or 3ft long so I was wondering about cutting longer ones to the lengths I need - but if they're reinforced the bar will rust and...
2
2

OT Sun bleached items
So, you all understand that when you put something out in the sun for a long time the colour get bleached out of it Well the thing that I have just had this happen to is the bottle of washing up...
12
12