Subject Author Posted Replies

Metric?
As we all know, we didn't really go metric, just token metric. e.g. what was an 8' x 4' of plywood is now a 122cm x 244cm. If we had gone metric it would be 120 x 240. Or even 200 x 100. But I still...
72
72

The Vulcan bomber - free flypasts
Radio Sheffield did say the Vulcan would be showing off tomorrow on its return to Doncaster at 4pm And this year it is giving everyone (1) a chance to view it in the sky. (1) Well not eveyone - but...
58
58

Re: OSN?
Please don't. Well, it's certainly better without you... You stupid boy.
1
1

Shed base
Management wants a shed. Probably 8' x 6', so I assume the base would be best in concrete and need to be, say, 8'6" x 6'6", but how thick?
12
12

Caravan and camping sites - mandatory electrical inspection?
Where there are power sockets around a field, for the use of campers and caravanners, what is the law regarding their being tested and inspected please?
3
3

Keter toolboxes, any good, any experience here?
I'm looking for a mobile toolbox, probably a two-tier one. I've looked at the cheaper Stanley and B&D ones and the on line reviews for them which suggest they're not very robust though the layout is...
4
4

decking stain/paint for longevity??
What's best to retreat outdoor decks these days? Cheaper acrylic? stains/sealers seem to last one or two seasons ten start flaking/peeling off, and the whole procedure then has to be done again :-(...
12
12

tampering with tempering valves
What a blight! A curse on the lawyers who forced these things to be mandatory. Mine has seized up, so the water is only 40 Celcius with the screw on maximum (supposedly 50). The plumbing company that...
2
2

Anyne recommend a cheap scale-reducer for an electric shower?
My old electric shower bit the dust due to limescale. I live in a hard water area. Can anyone recommend a cost-effective and compact limescale reducing device that I could plumb into the water feed to...
13
13

Fluorescent light
Need a new Fluorescent light fitting for the kitchen as the old one has given up, what are the pros and cons between a standard ballast and a high frequency one, looking to get one from Wickes. Barry
55
55

OT as people on this NG seem interested
BRITAIN could face colder than average winters with a plunge in solar activity threatening a new 'little ice age' in the next few decades.
4
4

Hot stuff but hardly DIY
..and the Molten Salt Reactor Association. Multiple topics covered in rapid succession by Donald Larson at TEAC7. Most of Larson's talk was dedicated to a private sector development plan for Plum...
6
6

Common waste for dishwasher and washing machine
These will be next to each other. There is very little room behind these appliances and was wondering how practical it is to have a common waste system. Are there any regulations on the horizontal...
8
8

Pressurising a CH system
For a lot of good reasons that are nothing to do with the operation of the system, I've been thinking about converting my gravity-fed CH system. Now Im sure this will precipitate a bunch of leaks, but...
13
13

What are these plastic inserts in the toilet pan?
Just fitted a toilet. The pan has three plastic inserts in three holes that allow the water into the pan from the cistern. Sketch here: The inserts are like a rigid tube 1.5 to 2 inches in diameter...