Subject Author Posted Replies

metal boxes for electrical sockets
Hello, I was having a sort out and found some spare metal boxes as used behind electrical sockets, light switches, etc. I had some made by CED that I had bought from Tool station and some of the...
3
3

replacing lead water pipe
Hello, I have discovered that I have a lead water pipe and that it is shared with my neighbour. I have contacted the water company and they have told me that I will have to change the bit on my...
9
9

6mm T&E cable routing requirements
I've just installed an electric shower. The 6mm T&E cable runs from the loft down through an unheated airing cupboard. Does the cable have to be inside trunking or conduit where it runs through the...
12
12

exploding light bulb
Fingerprints on the quartz will cause that. There's usually a warning on the package to that effect. Organic contaminants, such as oil, are often blamed but in reality vaporize very quickly so...
17
17

Re-positioning a box strike plate on a door frame.
I want to lower the box strike plate on a door frame by about 2mm. This is necessary because the door has changed shape slightly. If I do this, the new screw holes will be very close to the old ones....
11
11

Mains water supply valve question
I don't even know if I've got the right name, but it's the valve/tap/cock/whatever in the front garden between the 'big' mains water pipe under the road, and the house. I spent a while prodding and...
28
28

Storage heater bricks - max temp?
Any idea what temp they get up to? Max temp for long term use? Investigating heat-store possibilities. Doing some sums. tia.
28
28

tv coax plugs
Hello, I know to use f plugs wherever possible but I need a coax plug to connect at the back of the tv. I had a quick look on the CPC web site but they sell aluminium plugs, nickel plated zinc plugs,...
51
51

Freezer seal replacement
The freezer in question, a tiny little HEC, seems to be of the 'replace the door' type. No fixing screws for the door seal, no channel it clips into, and the door lining doesn't want to come out with...

Bah. Gas tumble dryer broken AGAIN!
Third time in 25 years. It's becoming a bit of a habit. Tom
1
1

Wills and executors
My partner has just sadly passed away, so obviously I'm in a bit of a spin. She owned the house and contents, much of which is a result of the time and money I invested in it over the decades. Decades...
127
127

painting lettering onto marble - which paint for outdoor durability?
GD, all, I am about to paint some black lettering onto a slab of marble. Can anyone recommend a paint that will stand up to the weather and be resistant to scratching off? I only need a very small...
8
8

ebac 2650e filters
Generally pleased with the ebac 2650e dehumumidifier. I don't trust the water level sensor (it failed once and flooded), so use a countdown timer to stop it after 12 hours. Anyway, the original filter...
2
2

Therefore
Therefore, if you desire love, try to realize that the only way to get love is by giving love, that the more you give, the more you get. (from Stranger by the River)

testing fluorescent tube starter
I'm referring to the little round tube shaped device in a fluorescent light fitting. Is there any simple way to test these? Normally I just replace suspect ones but a 4 tube recessed fitting in which...
7
7