Subject Author Posted Replies

OT: Morrison's conversation re: lack of champagne on offer
"I'm sorry to hear we did not have the Champagne you wanted last time you was in store. I am pleased to say we do now have this in stock and it is at the offer price. I'm sorry you was not able to...
23
23

Windows phone: call over WiFi?
My sister-in-law is visiting me. She has a Windows phone (Nokia Denim model RM-1017). It is connected to my home WiFi network. But I can't work out if and if so how I can call or send SMS messages? (I...
7
7

Receiver/relay box for central heating dead?
I have had a Honeywell CM927 Wireless Thermostat operating the heating boiler without a problem for the last ~8 years. This morning, after trying to turn the heating on - it is quite cold outside, so...
7
7

PET1 bottles and oils
I'm looking for small (100 ml) plastic spray bottles. We are going on holiday and want to take the DIY insect repellent made of 50/50 Dettol and baby oil. Local shops don't seem to stock spray...
14
14

Sun power water pump
A back of the mind project while you are all still in deck chair mode..... How feasible would it be to construct a livestock watering system from *off the shelf* components? A pond fountain won't...
37
37

OT Government to cut subsidies for new small-scale solar installations
Not before time! Lets hope they cut subsidies for existing installations soon after. The government says it plans to significantly reduce subsidies paid to small scale green power installations.
3
3

Thank goodness for loft storage tanks.
The water supply failed for the 3rd time in 8 months again at midday today. Two more pipe bursts and only a low pressure supply restored as of 8.50 pm. So I expect it to be off again tomorrow. Some of...
1
1

Polytunnel Zips replaced with Velcro or some fitting
We bought on of those Gardman plastic Greenhouse/polytunnels about a year ago. Those familiar with them know that the entrance is two full height Zips, just like on a camping tent. The Zip is broken...
7
7

Small fence and gate project: disaster strikes (OT for digi tv)
As I was just finished the top gate, enjoying the beautiful sunny day, the downpour started. It was instant heavy rain, no warning. And the lightning cracked not too far away. Under trees and working...
13
13

Hot, smelly CFL base
A couple of days ago I came downstairs & noticed a "hot plastic" smell, so I went through everything in the "entertainment cabinet", feeling all the wall warts & devices, then sniffed around in the...
41
41

3W led candle lamps in Poundland
Be interesting to see if these lamps will last. I was actually looking for 13W long life, which they didn't have. As she wants to replace the lounge lighting, which requires 12 bulbs and say 3 spares,...
4
4

Scientific Glassblower on The One Show, Wednesday.
Anyone see it? Wonderfully skillful. I've always been impressed by glassblowers. About 19 minutes in. Interesting hair and boots, too.
17
17

How not to install an outside socket
I love the comments others have made. Disclaimer: Please "Like" and Comment on our videos but accept that we simply do not have the time or resources to respond to questions asked or comments made. We...
40
40

homebuilding & renovating....
"Old paint can be removed with acid such as Nitromors, or a heat gun." Why don't they just change the organs name to "low rent coffee table freelance journalism more about smug owners than anything...

A problem with ants
It's neary the end of the ant season but I'm thinking ahead for next year. My house has always had a minor problem with ants. There would be aoccasionally one or two in the hall and one or two on the...
4
4